Stereo factory wiring

ttuite

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 1850xl.  The stereo did not have the faceplate.  I took the stereo out to try to get a face plate.  My navigation and docking light no longer work.  I went to the dealer and asked.  I was told to put the radio back in as he thought that they had used the radio to ground the lights.  I put the non-working radio back in and reconnected the factory wiring.  Lights work. 

I cannot find the same radio to replace my unit, so any new units I put in will not allow me to use the existing wiring harness. How is Bennington grounding my lights through the radio?

I bought a 2005 1850xl.  The stereo did not have the faceplate.  I took the stereo out to try to get a face plate.  My navigation and docking light no longer work.  I went to the dealer and asked.  I was told to put the radio back in as he thought that they had used the radio to ground the lights.  I put the non-working radio back in and reconnected the factory wiring.  Lights work.

I cannot find the same radio to replace my unit, so any new units I put in will not allow me to use the existing wiring harness. How is Bennington grounding my lights through the radio?

Your Bennington dealer should be obtain the schematics for you

Try this. 

I would think the only way is if the ground was jumped off the RADIO HARNESS side back into the harness, vs jumped off the BOAT HARNESS side. The only other way would be if there was a common grounding lug on the radio. Any which way, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the ground?

Are you sure it was a ground issue, or were they jumping power from radio to light switch?

Hi,

Thanks much for the wiring diagram.  It does appear that they run all grounds through the stereo and then ground lug the stereo with a strap.  When I install a new stereo I will make sure that I include the common ground in my new wiring harness. 

Back