Sterndrives?/Outboards?

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Opinions gentlemen???

the way bennington developed the 22 sfx with the fuel cell directly in front of the engine is in no way a space disadvantage. they are not in the way of anything on my boat !  just my  .02 worth 

I think the hot new thing is boats that enclose your outboard engine(s). There are several models now on the market, the smaller runabouts need to catch on. They are clean looking but with the ease of service etc. found in an outboard. And once enclosed they are super quiet!

The SeaRay 370

This photo is of the 370 running twin outboards....sweet!

concealed_outboards_searay.jpg

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a couple of stern drive boats and I'm on my second outboard powered pontoon/tritoon.   I had serious engine problems out of both sterndrive boats, and a leaky bellows caused one of my inboard outboards to sink in a marina.   I got a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke the second year they were out, and spent less than $300 maintenance in 27 years on a 24' Starcraft pontoon boat.

Inboard outboards perform well in a full hull boat, getting good fuel mileage and they all run pretty fast on top end.  They're pretty slow coming out off an idle, however.  When you start having gimbal problems and bellows problems @ 5-8 years old, repairs are expensive.  Marine salvage yards are full of good fiberglass hulls with the I/O units out of them--most of which are products of frozen engine blocks.

Give me a modern outboard any day for my Bennie.  If the engine ever wears out, I'll just repower the boat and go again.  An aluminum pontoon/tritoon boat kept out of the weather can be passed down two generations.  That's value.

I like both and I've owned both--2 outboards and 2 stern drives.  My future Bennington will be my 3rd outboard.  The stern drive manufacturers will have to make some serious changes to make them as competitive as, and sell as well as, the modern 4 stroke outboards.  I believe that within the next 10 years there will be a push to make stern drives smaller, lighter and with a greater power to weight ratio to become more competitive with the modern outboards.  The new 557 outboard has a great power to weight ratio, and if stern drives could match that, I think their market share would increase.  Improving their low end torque and finding a way to make them accelerate faster should be a priority as well.  There's nothing that will motivate the stern drive manufacturers better than the money being lost from their shrinking market share. 

By the way Daril, and forgive me for asking, but according to your signature, I see your Bennington will be 10 years old shortly.  Are you posting this particular issue because you are thinking of buying a new boat and switching to an outboard?  (And thank you for wishing me a Happy 62nd Birthday.)

David

I love the way my boat performs with the outboard, and the ease of servicing, but I sure do love the look off of those rear loungers when there isn't a motor getting in the way! Still makes me think of getting one.

NO DERRICK !!!!! LOL !!!

David.............

As a matter of fact when we were looking for a pontoon boat we were resigned to the fact that we were getting an outboard. But we came across the I/O, the same motor we had in our bowrider so we jumped on it..............To answer your question.............

No! I'm not looking for a new boat and switching motors. We're just getting started with my current one. Next year will be our 7th season with it and it's in great shape (upholstery and carpet still looks new but needs a new playpen cover), runs great (although I did have fuel pump problem last year) and it's paid off!!!!!!

Oh sure my wife and I have looked at an R series at our local Benny dealership w/the rear loungers and in floor storage and a 250 on the back and just loved it.............but we are perfectly content with what we have...............for now. Ha!

I'm envisioning a pontoon with the same concept as the SeaRay. Move the motor "covers" forward' make them seats with fold out loungers (like a lazy boy). twins or triples underneath...

I'm envisioning a pontoon with the same concept as the SeaRay. Move the motor "covers" forward' make them seats with fold out loungers (like a lazy boy). twins or triples underneath...
+1

Daril:  I took my wife to the boat show two years in a row.  And it was my wife wanting the Bennington, as the cream floats to the top.

Last year, I went without her, and had a great day.  Since I cannot afford another major league boat, she'll again stay at home this year. 

Haha! It's dangerous going to those boat shows together!

Back