Storms: Use playpen cover or not?

tcpip95

Reaction score
Might have a tropical depression come our way this weekend.  In the past, the boat was always in a closed building for a storm.  Not this time.  It'll be sitting out in an outdoor storage lot.  I'll take all the other precautions (wheels deflated, chocked, all loose items secured, etc.) but was wondering about the playpen cover.  Should I use it or leave it in the open?  If I use it, if some of the snaps pull loose, I could have a "sail" on my hands. 

Really, my biggest concern of all will be OTHER people NOT securing their stuff, and it blowing into me!

Thoughts?

How about 3 adjustable straps that run from port to starboard side that are hooked under the rub rails. Just snug up enough to pinch the cover to the rails. I actually leave our cover, that snaps down on the boat during storms. And some of the storms are with winds over 70mph. GOOD LUCK!

Might have a tropical depression come our way this weekend.  In the past, the boat was always in a closed building for a storm.  Not this time.  It'll be sitting out in an outdoor storage lot.  I'll take all the other precautions (wheels deflated, chocked, all loose items secured, etc.) but was wondering about the playpen cover.  Should I use it or leave it in the open?  If I use it, if some of the snaps pull loose, I could have a "sail" on my hands. 

Really, my biggest concern of all will be OTHER people NOT securing their stuff, and it blowing into me!

Thoughts?

We've had some pretty severe storms over the past 4 years and we are on the end of the dock with the open lake beside us. Knock on wood, we've never had a issue with the cover coming loose. Last resort, hopefully your insurance would cover any damage, but the cover may protect your interior from flying debris damage vs. a loose cover flapping causing damage. Kind of a catch 22 situation. Personally, I'd let cover on, and make sure it's stretched tight so it has little chance to "flap". 

Cover it.  I use my cover when towing, I did have straps added to the front, but we just returned from TN. and I rolled 70 MPH and there was no indication of the cover even coming off of the front snaps to have to rely on my added straps.  That's a 7 hour drive one way, also did a 5 hour over to IN. for the 4th of July.  No issues then either.  Batten down the hatches, stay safe.  I have a pic in my gallery if anyone is interested.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote here for covering it. It will protect the interior against the more likely debris flying into your seats. 

Thanks everyone.  One question though: my playpen cover has the strap that wraps around the bimini.  I was thinking about lashing that completely down against the fence.  I've never deployed the playpen cover in this fashion.  Will I still be able to make it tight without the strap wrapping around the stowed bimini top?

Doubtful. You could possibly rig up some type of post underneath with a big padded towel or something on top to spread the pressure out under the top and lift it that way. I'd just loop the strap over the Bimini light post. I don't strap mine "over" the Bimini anymore since my strap wore a hole through my cover. 

Definitely cover it! That's what it's for! It'll protect the interior and keep the water out! Lay the Bimini top down on its trailering struts and tie it down.

Thoughts?

Looks like you may be lucky with storm #9. Tampa seems to be in the path of this storm. Just curious, what did you decide to do with the boat? What ever you decided,hope all goes well down there!

Going to keep at the outdoor storage lot.  Fixed a couple of missing snaps on the playpen cover, and two male snap fittings that were bad on the boat.  TD9 is gonna miss us to the north, and it's probably not going to be anything more than a big rainstorm.  Right now it's nothing more than a typical thunderstorm for us down here - 35 mph winds, and the barometer is still above 1007 mb.

Will cover the boat with the playpen.  Thanks for the well wishes!

Ok TC. I hope the boat and yourselves made it through Hermine . But you didn't need to send her are way! My boat is in the lift with driving rain and 40 mph winds working at the cover.We,re just hoping that she doesn't stall off our coast like their saying could happen. The real shame is that I just put a new prop on the boat,thanks to adkboater,and I can't even try it out! Any way, Hermine go away!

LOL.  Thanks.  We did fine down here... Just a ton of rain.  

One key note for your boat on the lift.  DO NOT raise it all the way up!  I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but if you're getting rising floodwaters, the boat will get crushed by the top of the lift.  As the water rises, if need be getvit out of the lift and just tie it up as best you can.

LOL.  Thanks.  We did fine down here... Just a ton of rain.  

One key note for your boat on the lift.  DO NOT raise it all the way up!  I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but if you're getting rising floodwaters, the boat will get crushed by the top of the lift.  As the water rises, if need be getvit out of the lift and just tie it up as best you can.

Oh boy,if the water gets that high. Ocean City is in real trouble since we don't put roof over the lifts here. LOL  

We're expecting 2-3 days of 40=mph winds. Just means the ESP package will come in handy running through the waves in the bay. Gonna be fun!

Bennington virgin here...we just picked up our brand new Bennington and will be towing longer distances. Bennington says use towing cover, where do I get info on where to get one?

Bennington virgin here...we just picked up our brand new Bennington and will be towing longer distances. Bennington says use towing cover, where do I get info on where to get one?

I had one made because my trip for Boating is over 300 miles each way. Probably not the least expensive way to go, you could probably find a more standardized cover for less money. The guys and gals on here will help you in the right direction By the way... Congradulations on the new boat and welcome aboard the forum! :)  

pics are a must!!

I ordered one from Empire Covers (www.empirecovers.com).  It's "OK".  To be honest I was disappointed with it.  I paid $242 for it.  The first time I used it, a couple of the straps broke.  What I need to do is put some stainless steel grommets on the cover, then use bungee cords to lash it to the boat.  It's got a 5 year warranty, but it's more of a PITA to ship it back to have them fix the straps.  If the material tore, I'd ship it back.  I've got all the stuff to put the grommets on, so that's probably what I'll do.

It'll give me something to do while I'm missin' my boat  :angry:

Pics in my gallery. Your local tent and awning shop can make you one.

Back