Stupid Question

Michiman

Reaction score
I admit I've got way too much time on my hands waiting to take delivery of our new 2574 GCW. Just to set the table, Sharkskin is not an option for various reasons and I'm coming to grips with that.

That said, I will be keeping it in a marina slip that has old tires over the posts. I don't know exactly how wide the slip is and there were no other boats when we inspected it. So, if it turns out that my Benny will actually come in contact with the tires, will they cause marks? Should I remove them and replace with something else? I was thinking my bumpers would be my primary protection but then I remembered the tires hanging off the posts. The marina is protected and my slip is about half way in so I don't expect too much movement resulting from the weather.

This is my first toon and first marina experience so hence the stupid question. I've honestly never really paid much attention in the past because it never applied to me.

If your boat rubs up and down against the tires, yes it will make marks. If it rubs up and down on anything it will make marks which can be cleaned. Unless it rubs for so long that it polishes the spot.

You'll get some rub marks no matter what you use. I do have shark hide and it's about 2 years old and where the fenders hang down I'm getting some wear. I wouldn't lose so much sleep over the shark hide, If you keep them clean thru out the year, you can pull it at the end of the year polish the toons and then apply the shark hide if you see fit. Many of boats have been in the water long before shark hide and many will continue to do so without it. The people on this forum including myself are extremely proud of our Bennington's and try to maintain them to the highest standard, Hence the strong push on the shark hide.    

First year I kept mine in a 10 ft wide slip that's 9" per side of clearance, not much! The bumpers rubbed the toons and rubbed the sharkhide off in spots. It did not look "horrible". I still got compliments. Without the sharkhide I assume, as Carl stated, you'll just have some brighter spots. While cruising the lake, you'll never notice it. Only time I even thought about it was when it was on the trailer, and even then, I was still too damned happy that it did not phase me. You're getting an awesome pontoon, have fun with it!

Understood. Just didn't want the potential for big black marks!

Back