sun faded anodized aluminum

riversouthern

Reaction score
I have a 2012 20sli that was delivered in March.

This is my second Bennington the first was a new 1999 2250 gl that we kept for 10 years. We get full use out of our boats. It goes in the water in March, stays covered and tied to my pier and is pulled in Nov. The pontoons are cleaned of any build up while in the water every month along with a general cleaning of the boat. This has always been the case.

last Sunday a week ago one of my guests used the swim ladder after we had docked and did not raise it after use. It spent a week in High Rock Lake. It was easy to clean the scum but now same has a white splotches all over. Note no cleaning agents was used.

This one is my problem

Also we we have noticed the same white discoloration on the cage, bimini top supports and the flashing around the entry doors.

This one is not

Did not have this issue with the 1999.

Anyone have experience in this area and if so is there a magic solution to correct same.

Thanks in advance

Riversouthern...............

I have had the same problem w/a little fading/discoloration on the anodized rails throughout my pontoon boat over the years and it's been driving me nuts.....the rails, bimini supports, gates, etc. etc....I have tried so many products for anodized aluminum there's too many to name with various degrees of success. "Brasso" has been the one of the best products that I have used but it seems to fade again over time........it'll be interesting to see what members of this forum have used for this problem but the majority seems to have new boats or just a ones just a few years old and haven't experienced this yet.................

My boat is 8 years old and I'm on it as far as keeping it clean and waxed and detailed. But it seems to get harder and harder over time and it's beginning to show some age.............

Anodize Aluminum!

It's a process that works like a clear coat to protect the Aluminum. If you use products like brass-o,or Gord's It can remove the Anodize surface and then you have a section that is un even. I haven't come across anything that will restore faded anodized surfaces. Products like brass-o or Gord's are made to be used on Bare or Raw metal.

Lets see what TB says

Back