Sun lounge question

Jeffrey

Reaction score
We went with the "stowable sun lounge" in the bow.  It's a great feature, but I have a question about the stability of it and whether or not Bennington used the correct brackets.

First, a description of the option.  With it, you get two cushions to insert in the bow.  They are supported by three collapsible aluminum bars and two brackets to hold the bars.

Which leads me to picture #1:
13639593_10206156077961408_2081966231_o_zps4yqxngpr.jpg

Notice that the bracket has three slots in it.  You'd think "one for each bar", right?  But notice that the cushion only comes out as far as the second bar...  I just assuming this is some universal bracket that they also use for under-table lounge in another model.

But still, if I'm only using two of the slots, why give me three bars?!?  Anyway, onto the issue...  Take a look at picture #2:

13647145_10206156078401419_1591042542_o_zpstj9xaqee.jpg

Notice the width of the bracket slots.  Wide enough for two of the bars to fit into one slot.  This causes a problem when you only have one of the bars inserted because there's nothing really preventing it from spinning in the slot...which is exactly what happened to us.  Somebody put a little too much weight on the edge of the cushion near the seat.  The cushion flipped up a bit, which in itself wasn't a bit deal...but the bracket pivoted in the slot, causing their weight to be applied sideways on the bracket and then bent the bracket.

So my questions: For those that have the sun lounge option, are those the same brackets you have?  Have you experienced the issue I'm describing?

I didn't even know this was an option!!! Hopefully others with this feature will chime in.

So does that mean new seat bases as you will have holes when those are removed? Looking forward to the before and after. Hopefully the new ones work better for you.

True. I'm sure the seat supplier could whip something up.

Molds to manufacture are only a few hundred thousand dollars... I'm sure the tooling supplier would be onboard.

I was referring to the upholstered pad. Not a new seat base! 

Back