sun screen spray damage

rczzh

Reaction score
Last time out on the boat the kids sprayed sunscreen on themselves. The over spray got on the windshield and the radio cover. Now they have spots and kinda cloudy looking. I have tried many things to get it off with no luck. I did read and tried head light restorer on the radio cover. It help some but it still looks dull and has fine scratches, even with a fine cloth. Has any one else had this problem? What has anybody tried that worked with out scratching? Can they be brought back to new shiny look?

Thanks

No spray sunscreen allowed on my boat. I was warned it would stain the seats. If there is a remedy you will find it on here. Good luck.

What brand was it?

The little woman likes to use hawaiian tropic silk hydration spray sunscreen and haven't had any troubles yet.  Granted we normally spray the sunscreen on as soon as we get out of the car at our boat docks and not actually on the boat.  We used to be a full time coppertone users (the regular and the sport series cream) but that was before we had all the troubles with it turning white coverups and shirts....as well as swimwear a nice shade of orange.  Not a lot of fun when her new blue and white swim suit becomes blue and orange after the first use with the coppertone sunscreens.  We found out it was AVOBENZONE (the main chemical in the sunscreen) that was causing most of the problems.  If we go out for th eday and apply sunscreen after we go swimming it's normally the cream (not spray) and we usually have towels on the seats anyway.

Coppertone has a sensitive skin formula that has zinc in it instead avobenzone that is rated at an spf50 (probably not going to get any sun at all with that high of spf).

the hawaiian tropic spray we use:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawaiian-Tropic-Silk-Hydration-Clear-Mist-Spray-Sunscreen-SPF-30-6-fl-oz/23984416

Bought a bottle of banana boat sport to try out it only has 1% of the avobenzone in it compared to the 3% in the coppertone......maybe my swim trunks won't turn orange using the banana boat.

How did you figure out it was the Avobenzone?

I have been told , that Banana  Boat "natural ' Will Not stain .

That is all that is allowed on my boat . 

I even provide it if someone wants to use a lotion or screen.

And absolutely no sprays of any kind .

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQWBDQE?psc=1

41UiqbQsHQL.jpg

We found out the hard way too on our new Bennington that some (if not all) spray lotion will stain the vinyl.  There are a couple threads here on the forum about what other owners have used.  I tried most of the stuff and believe 91% alcohol and lots of elbow grease worked the best.  Also, Meguir's Gold Leather and Vinyl Cleaner helped to remove some of the stain.    Good luck.

Back