Supplemental night driving lights. What did you buy?

WaveRunner

Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding one or maybe two relatively hi-powered waterproof lights (probably LED's) to the front underside of the deck to assist us when coming back at night to the boat ramp.  

I'd be really interested to see what you all might have done along these lines, and the product you chose and why.  Also any tips on the electrical installation would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Use of Hi power lights while underway is definitely NOT COOL around here. It ruins the night vision of nearby boaters. I suggest a handheld spotlight and to use it SPARINGLY. Just point and shoot a momentary beam at your target and then take a compass bearing.  Fellow night boaters will thank you.

+1 on the night vision blindness.

Not to mention it can be (or is) illegal where you boat. If you have more than navigation lights lit, I can't tell if you're coming, going, or sitting still. 

I use a handheld spotlight to navigate through the channel to get back to my ramp. I've thought about a "driving" light under the deck, but shortly after getting my boat, I was caught in some rough weather where I was slamming against the 3 - 4' waves. I believe those would have destroyed any light that was mounted under the deck. So, I'll stick with the handheld. You will get more versatility out of the hand held, anyway. You may need to point a light to something out beside you. It would be hard to use something hard-mounted to the front of the vessel to do that. 

I use a handheld spotlight to navigate through the channel to get back to my ramp. I've thought about a "driving" light under the deck, but shortly after getting my boat, I was caught in some rough weather where I was slamming against the 3 - 4' waves. I believe those would have destroyed any light that was mounted under the deck. So, I'll stick with the handheld. You will get more versatility out of the hand held, anyway. You may need to point a light to something out beside you. It would be hard to use something hard-mounted to the front of the vessel to do that. 

Good, positive feedback, and most helpful, Spoiledrotten.  Thanks very much!

Back