Suzuki Motor Follow-up Thread

Noah Genda

Reaction score
I posted the following text on the Suzuki Outboard Forum and have received zero responses.  The board is allegedly monitored by someone from Suzuki.  I posted on our forum a while back, but with less detail.  Forgive me if I'm breaking the rules.

Background: First three years (2011-2013) absolutely no problems.

Spring 2014: Motor starts perfectly, runs for several minutes, engine cuts out. Restarts fine, cuts out again, repeat until it decides you better wait 5 minutes, then I'll restart. Then it might run fine the rest of the day.

Motor serviced by inexperienced, but nice tech who says he replaced the following: shift position sensor, neutral switch assembly, and shift sensor lever - all based on Suzuki's recommendation and engine diagnostics.

Boat runs fine for a day or two and then reverts back to start-stop situation.

Trailered boat to Tall Timbers Marina who could duplicate my complaints. They re-ran diagnostics, cleaned electrical terminals, and ran for an hour with no problems (diagnostic computer attached while running on the lake). They weren't positive they fixed it, but I had kids counting on tubing the next weekend. I picked it up, it ran beautifully again for a couple of days, and it reverts to same symptoms.

My daughter picked up on something yesterday that may or may not be a clue. When we initially start the motor, it gives a systems startup beep that lasts 1+ seconds. After the motor inexplicably shut down, if I tried to start it again, there was only a very short initial beep, much shorter than the "good, long beep."  After I wait 5 minutes or so, I get the longer beep and the motor starts. And then it ran perfectly the rest of the day.

Since we have some incredibly bright folks on the forum, I thought I would throw it out one more time.  From everything I've been told, it isn't water in the fuel.

Thanks.

I think the 'beeps' are a good clue that the computer thinks something is wrong, and shuts the engine down.

I would have thought it would store some information in the computer to direct a tech to the problem, but that does not seem to be the case.

Perhaps a competent service person could give you some details about the warning 'beeps', on my Sea-Doo's there are different sounds for different problems, low oil, overheat, low voltage, etc.

I had an EFI problem with my 50hp Johnson (Suzuki) a few years ago on a previous boat. An area dealer (Marsh Brothers) consulted the regional Suzuki tech field rep from Michigan to help troubleshoot and he was able to resolve it after a scan. Maybe your dealer has a contact and can try that route to figure it out.

Back