Swingback vs Fastback on a 22

Benni Newbie

Reaction score
I am in the very beginning stages of purchasing a 22 Bennington S series tri-toon. What are your thoughts on swingback furniture configuration vs fastback?

We have a sslx which is like the swingback in the sense it has a double lounger. It is nice but it does choke down the floor space

Originally I loved the idea of a lounger in the back. But now i am having second thoughts. I went to look at the boats again yesterday and it felt cramped in back and took up a lot of space.

Depends on your usage. I think for lots of friends, fastback loungers. If you prefer lazy day lounging, swing back. The swing back seems to have really been popular. I’d like to see the numbers on “custom” builds and dealer floor sales on the SB vs all others.

I am one of the few ,that does not care for the swing back .My wife and I prefer the individual lounges .

I too am looking hard at Benningtons and will buy one in the next year. I do not like the Swingbacks either but they seem to be everywhere in the inventories of close dealers. I just think they take up way too much room for the way I expect to use the boat. Much prefer the Fastback.

We have and prefer the individual stern loungers.

We got the swingback shortly after they came out. We really like it, and it is certainly a hit with family and friends. When simply cruising around, a few teens like to hang back there, and we’ve always had enough room in the other seating with the other guests on our S-series.

When tubing its an awesome spot for spotters to hang out, chit-chat, and keep an eye on whoever is being towed. And when it comes to lounging in the sun, or even deckside, its a hit. We also like all the storage space underneath that back area.

That said, I agree with others. Depends on use. IF you would do a lot of the above types of activities, its pretty sweet. If boating with a lot of older kids/teens, they will love it. So will adults laying around in the sun listening to music.

If you will be SITTING and talking, or with adults more “dressed up” and boating and socializing, its probably not the best use of floor space. Also, I don’t see it being a good floor plan for fishing due to the space it takes up.

I LOVE our GCW, you can still kind of seat 4 back there, but our use is anchored, lazing around the cove, so 98% of the time just the two of us. The GCW has the extended aft deck, which if the model you pick does not have it, ADD IT. It’s awesome for fishing, or just sitting, dipping your toes in the water.

I have a 2275 GCW with individual stern loungers. I really like the stern loungers but would prefer the double wide swing back.

My wife is the queen of entertaining. She's the Martha Stewart of the lake. We tie up to a bunch (sometimes a dozen) friends' boats about every weekend and everyone plans to eat from our boat. (We love that, and friends do contribute to the cost.) This spring, we transitioned from an older Benny with traditional L shaped seating and a large sunpad to the current dual rear lounger set up. My wife took a long time to warm up to the new layout simply because the dual rear loungers didn't serve as well as a base for her buffets. She finally got a look at a swingback with that huge, nearly flat surafce and her eyes lit up. So we have our eyes peeled for a used swing back 22 foot tri-toon with a 150 or bigger Yamaha.

We have the traditional L shaped seating and huge sunpad on top. We're so used to it and love it. But.....my wife loves the swingback reversible seat and didn't really like the rear loungers until she sat in Nauticals boat.

we love our swingback. we have gone out often at sunset , spun the boat around, turned on some tunes and watched the sky get painted red while sipping on an adult beverage.
but get what's best for your situation. our kids are grown, well, one graduates college in May and the other is out. whoop!

Our rear loungers are the most popular seats on the boat, both coving out and on our way!

We got the swingback shortly after they came out. We really like it, and it is certainly a hit with family and friends. When simply cruising around, a few teens like to hang back there, and we’ve always had enough room in the other seating with the other guests on our S-series.

When tubing its an awesome spot for spotters to hang out, chit-chat, and keep an eye on whoever is being towed. And when it comes to lounging in the sun, or even deckside, its a hit. We also like all the storage space underneath that back area.

That said, I agree with others. Depends on use. IF you would do a lot of the above types of activities, its pretty sweet. If boating with a lot of older kids/teens, they will love it. So will adults laying around in the sun listening to music.

If you will be SITTING and talking, or with adults more “dressed up” and boating and socializing, its probably not the best use of floor space. Also, I don’t see it being a good floor plan for fishing due to the space it takes up.
No way you'll find me "dressed up" on my boat. Ha! Unless it's a new bathing suit or flip flops.....

I opted for the swing back, love the versitility. We mainly cruise and hang out at sandbars, like how the rear is open and people in and out of the boat can still be in the same conversation. The girls love it for laying out and getting sun.

My previous toon was a traditional L shaped with raised sunpad so this is a nice change. In comparison it felt closed off from the water where the swingback is so open in the rear.

Its can be a little tight walking between the captains chair and the swing back if they are pushed towards eachother but if you push the swingback to the rear it opens up plenty or tilt the back of the captains chair forward a few clicks.

Back