SXP/SXSB

Fatboy05

Reaction score
21' and 23' 150hp and 200hp respectively for use in FL not more that a mile off shore, bays and inland water way. I am new and reading some adverse things about the S Line. Opinions please. Thanks, in advance. Tim

21' and 23' 150hp and 200hp respectively for use in FL not more that a mile off shore, bays and inland water way. I am new and reading some adverse things about the S Line. Opinions please. Thanks, in advance. Tim
What "adverse " things are you reading ?

SXSB- I would be concerned about taking it outside the bay on anything other than a calm day, too bad you couldnt get the L Line but the SXBS with at least get you out there, the ride quality suffers because the center pontoon is shorter than it could be etc. I have no opinions formed. I am asking for advise and information.

You do not have to get an express toon . The express is the only package that Bennington offers that the center toon is not full length .
It sounds like you need / want and SPS ,SPS Plus or an ESP .

Your issue is NOT about adverse issues with the S Line, it is about adverse issues with a smaller Benny. Jack notes the SPS - ESP hull range is better, these Toon Configurations handle chop better. Then, you need the largest, fastest Benny you can afford, and an excellent weather monitoring system. Storms can creep up fast, and offshore that means real trouble. Plus, you ideally need tow service, a backup motor and an excellent communication device. Now, you are only a mile offshore, so there is a LOT of judgment, Risk/Reward factors that will be personal choices. The X lines certainly have MUCH nicer finishes, but that is a personal choice. #1 priority after safety - ENJOY!

Your issue is NOT about adverse issues with the S Line, it is about adverse issues with a smaller Benny. Jack notes the SPS - ESP hull range is better, these Toon Configurations handle chop better. Then, you need the largest, fastest Benny you can afford, and an excellent weather monitoring system. Storms can creep up fast, and offshore that means real trouble. Plus, you ideally need tow service, a backup motor and an excellent communication device. Now, you are only a mile offshore, so there is a LOT of judgment, Risk/Reward factors that will be personal choices. The X lines certainly have MUCH nicer finishes, but that is a personal choice. #1 priority after safety - ENJOY!
Thank you. Jack was helpful for sure. I still cant determine where the SXP '23 fits. 2020/SXP/200hp/230hrs/57k I have the cheat sheet and its great. The SX is the top of the "entry" class, and I think the P is for Plus/ heavier build for more hp and capacity? Full pontoons. How is this one different from the SPS that Jack has? Thank you as well for your time.

SPS ,the max HP is 200 . On the SPS the toons the thicknes is .80 on the SPS Plus it's 1.00 and 250 max HP. The P series is Premium

Again, the website is your friend - best I can tell, the P is the Port Dinette, but that should have a PD? I can't find a SXP, but then what is your source for that model? The website, vs invoice, vs advertising may all change how the model number is presented.

Then, the S line for 2024 has been updated, and the site may no longer show prior year models.

https://www.benningtonmarine.com/en-us/s-series/sx/floor-plans/ Look at bottom....

Sorry I can't be more help.

I think he is looking at used. But once on that build site things can change. If they ever bring back Crimson Red , I'm all in and so is the Boss .
Used and on 2023 and SX 23 salt water series is on the hull. The dealer page and printed material have it was SXP 23. So the P could mean either port dinette or premium...

No , I thought you were looking at used. Bennington no longer offers the S Premium Series . If it's a Premium ,it will have a Premium badge.

Used and on 2023 and SX 23 salt water series is on the hull. The dealer page and printed material have it was SXP 23. So the P could mean either port dinette or premium...
sorry 2020

Attachments

• IMG_1280.png
    IMG_1280.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 10
That pic says it's a 2020, 23 ft SXP.

Okay. I have a 2017 S model tritoon configuration.

As an owner and fan of the options in the S-lineup I am going to chime in on a few items I think are getting mixed around here.

S = model lineup. XP = Premium build (think of XP as the “trim“ level like on a car). At the time (2020 and earlier models) it meant many options on the next model up we’re going to be included on that “XP” version of the boat. Any other designations, would connotate special layout options, such as SB = Swingback

EXAMPLE: My boat is a 2017 24’ SSBXP with and SPS hull and 200HP Mercury Verado Pro. 24’ generic approx boat length. S = model. SB = Swingback layout. XP = Premium trim. SPS = full tritoon hull.

I suggest the OP’s concern on seaworthiness and handling has nothing to do with the SXP v SXSB designations they were initially focused on. Instead, seaworthiness is going to be dependent on which HULL configuration each of those used Bennington‘s has on it. Model, trim level and hull are separate issues, and only the hull (which the OP has not shared) is relevant to their concern.

To the OP, when Jack brought up SPS, that has nothing to do with the S-model of the boat. The S-model boats can be equipped with different hull options (like all the other Bennington pontoons). You could have a S-model with a traditional dual pontoon configuration, a with more buoyant larger size dual elliptical pontoons, another equipped with partial EPT center pontoon. As well as a S model of that time with one of the following full tritoon hull configurations: SPS (full length normal tritoon configuration), SPS+ (more robust normal length tritoon configuration), or ESP (more robust, sport performance full lenth tritoon configuration).

Do you know what hull the two boats above that you mentioned in your original post have? If you do, share it in this thread. I or others can let you know if its one of the more robust hulls for your sort of intended usage.

Other things for you to consider then given your stated use:

- The longer the pontoon, the better it will handle adverse chop in weather. Longer boats will glide across choppy waves more effectively.
- Full length tritoon hulls (there are different options noted above) will serve you better for stability and handling in all water conditions vs traditional dual pontoons. They are more buoyant and stable.
- Under-skinning will reduce wave surge impacting ride, handling and performance.
- Boat model wont matter significantly for your seaworthiness concerns. It is the hull configuration that will matter the most.

I hope all of this is helpful. I am away on vacation and just happen to have a big travel day today, so I saw this and replied somewhat thoughtfully. I may or may not see any further replies for awhile. Good luck!!!

Back