T50 vs 115

Nerosync

Reaction score
Looking for some one who has owned or used comparable engines to tell me just how much more I can expect out of upgrading to a 115 from a T50? Obviously it is more than twice the horsepower but I'm trying to take into count every aspect to justify the extra cost. I could pull a tube currently but looking to possibly be able to pull a wake board and or ski's also. I have only owned the T50 and really have little experience with anything bigger so any idea to help me paint the justification picture is appreciated.

For wakeboarding, I believe the normal speed is right in and around 20mph. The 115 will do that. My 90 was about 22-24, depending on how you prop it. I didn't find my 90 very good for tubing, lost a lot in the corners, and impossible to dump my brother in law off unless I waited for him to fall asleep. He's a young cop and in quite good shape so I tried every whip I could, usual relying on other people's wake. I believe water skiers like a little faster than 20mph, at least for cutting. I would read all of Kaydano's thread on finding a prop and use that as a guide for what suits your needs. Not sure what the highest hp you can put on, I'm assuming 115. If it was 150, than that is without a doubt the way to go. It will provide you with the ability to do anything you want to do now, and the foreseeable future. Anything above is for show and the sheer joy of seeing people's faces when you blow by them in a big pontoon boat!! (that's why we up'd it from the 200 to the 250! Haha)

The sticker in the boat says the max is 115HP, the dealer says I would need to go to a tritoon or eliptical package in order to go up to the 150HP :(

I'm not really worried about being able to dump them although it would be fun to do so :) Just being able to tow them with some speed other than what I get out of the T50 would be cool.

IMHO If you can't go for a newer boat and yours will hold a 115 then do it. I've never had a 50 but the difference from 50 to 115 would be a signifacant difference.

With just the 2 x 25" pontoons, I don't know if the 115 would be enough for you. I have the express package, and I'm pretty marginal with the 115, although much happier now with that new Spitfire prop. Without the center toon, you might just be throwing good money after bad. Like Carl mentioned, you should talk to your dealer ASAP about trading in your boat and see what they can do for you. They want you to be happy, and with a 2013 with not many hours on it, who knows. I know you probably don't want to hear that, but in my opinion you NEED to know this in order to make your decision.

Another option is to trade in for a slightly older boat that has 3 toons and a 115 or 150. Again, mention this to your dealer. You never know.

But, gut tells me you will be paying a lot for the 115 upgrade and you still won't be happy with the performance on just the two toons. The 150 is not an option for you with your current setup, so you are stuck.

You could also post your boat for sale on Craigslist. You don't have to sell it, but you might learn what it's worth (which is only what someone will pay). Listing it will keep your options open as you learn more and decide what to do.

Good luck. Tough one.

I would want the same exact boat only with triple toons and a bigger motor, I love the layout and other options. :)

We have a 24 SLi, standard two tube with a 115hp. I get consistent speeds of 27mph with fairly clean toons and a moderate load. With really clean tubes I got 29mph once with just two on board. With dirty tubes speed drops off big time.

I have a 14x13P prop - I am considering trying a Spitfire in the future based on what Kaydano posted previously. If I had to do everything over again I would probably buy the same boat with the elliptical tubes, strakes and a 150 hp. That being said I am happy enough with the performance that I am not considering upgrading. Upper 20's is still faster than lots of other pontoons and good enough for water sports.

No matter what you do it is going to cost a significant amount of $$.

With just the 2 x 25" pontoons, I don't know if the 115 would be enough for you. I have the express package, and I'm pretty marginal with the 115, although much happier now with that new Spitfire prop. Without the center toon, you might just be throwing good money after bad. Like Carl mentioned, you should talk to your dealer ASAP about trading in your boat and see what they can do for you. They want you to be happy, and with a 2013 with not many hours on it, who knows. I know you probably don't want to hear that, but in my opinion you NEED to know this in order to make your decision.

Another option is to trade in for a slightly older boat that has 3 toons and a 115 or 150. Again, mention this to your dealer. You never know.

But, gut tells me you will be paying a lot for the 115 upgrade and you still won't be happy with the performance on just the two toons. The 150 is not an option for you with your current setup, so you are stuck.

You could also post your boat for sale on Craigslist. You don't have to sell it, but you might learn what it's worth (which is only what someone will pay). Listing it will keep your options open as you learn more and decide what to do.

Good luck. Tough one.
Kaydano - What pitch SpitFire are you running with your 115?

13.8 x 13p Spitfire

Looking for some one who has owned or used comparable engines to tell me just how much more I can expect out of upgrading to a 115 from a T50? Obviously it is more than twice the horsepower but I'm trying to take into count every aspect to justify the extra cost. I could pull a tube currently but looking to possibly be able to pull a wake board and or ski's also. I have only owned the T50 and really have little experience with anything bigger so any idea to help me paint the justification picture is appreciated.
I have gone through what you are asking. We have a 22' 2 toon boat without strakes. We started with a 40hp O/B. With 2 people and gear, max speed was 16 mph. When loaded it would slow to 12 mph. 4 years ago we put a used 90hp on it. Top speed went to 20mph. Big improvement with a load of people on the boat. This year we replaced the 90 ( used saltwater engine - corrosion ruined the power head - learned my lesson) with a 120 hp rebuilt engine. Just got back from Canada. Top speed is now 24 mph. Without strakes the toon is not going to plane and there is a formula that shows the HP increase needed to increase speed on a displacement hull. At some point all you are doing is increasing the wake. The advantage of the HP is when loaded. We had 6 people with all the fishing gear and could cruise out at 14 mph at 3,800 rpm. I now need to install underskinning. At speed we were taking waves against the cross members. It was some big slams. We only use the boat for fishing and cruises so the new motor will work for us. In your situation, I would recommend a different boat. For watersports you need to get the boat on plane and 2 toons with no stakes is not your solution. As an aside, I can tell you that a 22' 2 toon can handle 3' whitecaps with 6 people on board. Get to speed quickly to not plow into the troughs. We took 3 waves over the bow/fence before we got to speed and above the waves. The extra HP was a big help. I would not have gone out with the 40HP O/B.

I have a 115 Yamaha with 2 25" tubes but I have strakes inside and out. Top speed is 34 with I believe a 13.5x14?? My wife's grandma has a 2250 rl with no strakes and 25" tunes and it pulls a tube good, I've ski'd behind it. Obviously weight kills a toon so it depends how many will be on the boat with you. Maybe you can take one for a spin at Wilson with a 115 to get a feel for it. We could take mine out but I have strakes so it would not be apples to apples.

I have a 24SSLX, 2x25" tunes, no strakes, Yamaha 115 w/ stainless prop.

It pulls skiers (including slalom), knee boards and wake boards no problem. Sure it would pull tubes, but too much effort to whip them around.

We feel it pulls up better than our Bayliner 175 until I re-propped the Bayliner.

I had 10 people on board (6 adults) and for skiing and wakeboarding I was typically only at 4000 rpm (no speedo on my boat) and worked fine.

So you are saying I should have gotten rid of the tube, replaced it with a knee board, wake board, and a pair of skis, and kept the 115. NOW you tell me! LOL!!!

So you are saying I should have gotten rid of the tube, replaced it with a knee board, wake board, and a pair of skis, and kept the 115. NOW you tell me! LOL!!!
You need to ask the right questions!

Back