TARNISHING TOONS

Bamaman

Reaction score
My 2012 Bennington 24SSLX was built the middle of May, and was stored inside a dark warehouse until purchased 7/5/12.

Upon delivery, the aluminum toons were already starting to tarnish. My boat is stored out of the water inside a boathouse and has been in fresh water only 19 hours--never left sitting in water. A water line on the hull is clearly visible in spite of the hull being clean.

Is anyone having this problem?

I read nice things about Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on the internet. (Many comparable products are available at truck stops and national auto parts chain stores.) I quickly found that hand application of Mothers Polish is very hard work--especially when there are 3 hulls to polish. And, the polished shine using Mothers' product was rather dull.

When needing info on any subject, I go to UTube and the internet. A video is online @ Advance Auto Parts showing how to use White Diamond Metal Polish with an electric buffer. I also found UTube sites showing how to buff heavy truck fuel tanks with power buffers and rouge to a mirror finish. It all looks easy when professionals are doing the work.

I ordered a Porter Cable Dual Action buffer online and locally picked up a 6" hook and loop backing plate and 6" short nap wool bonnet to apply the polish. Advance had White Diamond Metal Polish for $14.99.

3 dime size squirts of polish on the bonnet polished a 2'x2' section on the first toon--leaving behind a black glaze. After the polish dries to a gray powder finish, you remove the glaze with cotton towels. After polishing one toon, I applied a second polish application and two coats of Sharkhide to protect the shine. I am very satisfied with the outcome.

To be fair to the Mothers, I again polished the back of my right toon with their polish and compared it to the left toon. White Diamond was the winner hands down--no comparison. I don't have a mirror finish, but there's no way a mirror finish can be maintained in a marine application.

It's possible to apply a coat of polish and wipe the glaze off one side of one toon in about 30 minutes. The electric buffer is a good tool investment, as you can wax and detail an automobile with it in a matter of minutes. And with a D/A buffer, you cannot ruin a paint job.

Bennington is now offering factory installed Sharkhide treatment for 2013--MSRP $451 (2 toons) and $692 (3 toons). If you want to keep your boat looking like new, this would be a good option on any new boat.

Otherwise, get yourself a buffer and a quality aluminum polish and get at it. It's slightly more work than waxing a car, but a job task just about anyone can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info: it would be great to see people's differant refinishing styles. What process leaves the

Finish you describe. Its one thing to say your finish looks like but its another to show what the finish looks like.

It would be great to have a sticky on how to refinish your toons. Polishing / vs Cleaning removing light scratches ect

Back