Textured vs Smooth panels

bloser2

Reaction score
I am working toward an order for my first Bennington and have a few questions I'll be posting. The first is about the panels. It seems like almost all of the stock/dealer inventory I see have textured panels. Are there considerations, other than aesthetics/looks, to pick one over the other? Is one more resistant to fading, denting, scratching, etc? Does one show less dirt/dents/scratches? Any insight you can share would be helpful. Thank you!

I assume when you say textured you mean the panels have noticeable "bend" marks in them. I assume they do this for strength. Other than that I have idea!

Welcome to Bennington!

I have the smooth panels on my 2022 . At first I was hesitant ( some models you dont have a choice ) , but I dont mind them at all . I dont believe it has any effect on any of the things you mentioned . I use the same spray wax on the smooth as when I had the textured panels .
Which ever you decide , we do like to spend other peoples money here . :cool:
If you do have more build questions , be prepared to break your budget .

My understanding is it is an asthetic preference option. In theory a ribbed panel could be more durable, but these are thin aluminum pontoon panels, so I don’t really see any real benefit for durability.

I prefer the ribbed look. But that may be just convention, and the smooth will grow on me. Some of the new boats with the smooth panels give off a neat fresh look.

One caveat to the above: I do wonder if a dent or ding on a smooth panel could be suction popped out like on a car? Whereas on a ribbed panel, you cannot get suction, and if you could you’d still likely have some visual damage of the ribbing. Anyway, that is perhaps one possible benefit of a smooth panel: suction pull out of a dent or ding (And this is just me wondering. Not based on anything concrete).

I have the smooth panels on my 2022 . At first I was hesitant ( some models you dont have a choice ) , but I dont mind them at all . I dont believe it has any effect on any of the things you mentioned . I use the same spray wax on the smooth as when I had the textured panels .
Which ever you decide , we do like to spend other peoples money here . :cool:
If you do have more build questions , be prepared to break your budget .
My budget is well past busted at this point! I think I saw somewhere on here that prices have gone up 40% in the past 3 years - GULP! And then I read something about recreational vehicles not being a financial decision - I'm trying to focus on the later and not the former!!

They have gone up , but I think the 40% is an exaggeration by the original poster . I had a 2020 QCW before I purchased my 2022 QCW . Yes it was more due to the different options I had ordered and price increase's, but no where near 40% more .

My LX build online was $116K Jan 2021, $162K Dec 2022. That is 40%! Prior to about 25% discount, this was right before things got crazy. I have read these big discounts are coming back, and I see a LOT more used ones coming onto the market.

Love the look of the smooth panels, though I do like the combinations I have seen. The flat panels do seem to show scrapes and small dents - but hey, that just means I am using my Benny for FUN!

Vikingstaff hit it on the nail. If you dent a ribbed panel you will NEVER get it back to it's original condition! This is by experience! Remember good old Carl? (CWAG911) When we first moved to NC his boat came into contact with mine while side by side in the main channel causing a pretty substantial dent. We called body shops, and 2 paintless dent repair companies. Nobody would touch it saying that it was impossible to get a ribbed panel back to original form! Done! So we hammered it out the best we could!

Last edited:
My LX build online was $116K Jan 2021, $162K Dec 2022. That is 40%! Prior to about 25% discount, this was right before things got crazy. I have read these big discounts are coming back, and I see a LOT more used ones coming onto the market.

Love the look of the smooth panels, though I do like the combinations I have seen. The flat panels do seem to show scrapes and small dents - but hey, that just means I am using my Benny for FUN!
Ha! When you mentioned your boat build price was 116K, 162K! All I could think about was my 1st house was 69.5K! Ha!

There had to have been a larger percent increase on the L models. The base on price on my Q from 2020 to 2022 did not even go up 20 % , but I also upgraded a few things on the 22 that caused the price to increase .

I just dug out my old paper work . List price on my 2020 Q was about 72 K ,no options . List on my 2022 Q ( new model) ,ordered in August of 2021 was 80K ,no options
They have gone up since ,today List on a 2023 Q no options is just over 100 K , last time I checked they were 98 K ( I try to stay off the build site:D )
So yeah that's about 40 % now .And the price of most options are up as well .

I forgot to mention ,from order to delivery ( just over 9 months ) there were price increases , but my dealer honored the price . There are other members here who's dealers raised them when there was an increase .

I just dug out my old paper work . List price on my 2020 Q was about 72 K ,no options . List on my 2022 Q ( new model) ,ordered in August of 2021 was 80K ,no options
They have gone up since ,today List on a 2023 Q no options is just over 100 K , last time I checked they were 98 K ( I try to stay off the build site:D )
So yeah that's about 40 % now .And the price of most options are up as well .
LOL - What else am I going to do with my lunch time......
But, noted my builds were apples to oranges - so that dropped the % to 37%.
WOW - the Simrad is CHEAPER! Everything else not so much. Pre Rig, Center Fuel, and the little stuff were really up (though I will need to finish the side by side on the little stuff - lunch time over - here is where I got to).

Attachments

• Price Comparison Build Jan 2021 vs Dec 2022 v1.png
    Price Comparison Build Jan 2021 vs Dec 2022 v1.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 15
I think ,Simrad is less because they put a better standard digital screen on . (.simrad/garmin )At least it was when I rebuilt mine .

That makes sense, but after using different marinas ,I think bumper position is also dependant on boat model ( rail position) ,fixed or floating docks and water level . At our current marina, our bumpers are at rub rail level . I can see on an R Sport that bumper position would be a concern of mine .

LOL - What else am I going to do with my lunch time......
But, noted my builds were apples to oranges - so that dropped the % to 37%.
WOW - the Simrad is CHEAPER! Everything else not so much. Pre Rig, Center Fuel, and the little stuff were really up (though I will need to finish the side by side on the little stuff - lunch time over - here is where I got to).
Damn $3000+ for a center fuel tank! Must be gold lined!

Back