The Toon has Arrived

ssc

Reaction score
We ordered our 2550 GSR at the end of May. We took possession on Aug 1. Our buying experience was excellent. At this time, my time on the boat is very limited.  So far, I am very happy with the boat and the performance. Before I think of making any modifications, I will need to become familiar with the boat and its abilities. It will need to be broken in and I will be on a learning curve to understand its particular habits and my abilities. In essence, I need time to learn the boat.

Too many times, when one is new to a toy and it does not meet expectations, people find fault and issues. I generally find (due to my experience) that operator error is to blame in many occasions. For instance, on my water test ride yesterday, I didn't think the trim was working as the bow didn't seem to react to my trim input. My salesman, who is the general manager, smiled and informed me I was not pushing the trim button in the correct place. My finger was too high. When I adjusted my finger and pushed the trip buttom lower on the button, I could feel it click and the bow properly reacted.

Performance of the boat was great. The handling with the ESP is awesome. It was like a v bottom ski boat with how sharp and controlled it turned, plus it banked like a v bottom.  It was running 48mph at 6000 rpm. I suspect once I become familiar with its sweet spot  for trim and breakin etc I will see 50mph under perfect conditions. The strakes were all sealed per my request. I see no reason to not seaI the strakes. I have some pictures in my gallery but do not know how to put them in my thread.

We decided on the 2550 GSR because I wanted at least a 25 foot toon with at least a 300 verado. (I was hoping that merc would release the rumored 350). I didn't want the Yamaha 350 due to weight and I wanted forced induction due to our heat and altitude at Lake Powell. Also the footprint of the deck gave me more floor room then the RSR. We wanted quad seating as it is very versatile. Having young grandkids, floor space is good.

We bought the boat here in Lake Havasu. It was easy and my salesman knew his product. If I had a certain question that he couldn't answer, he contacted the factory. He didn't BS me. Communication throughout the wait was mostly via email and was promp. Anytime I called, my salesman was usually available. He sent me pics as they got the boat prepared. I even sent my cousin to take pictures and he was greeted well. I wanted the boat water tested before I returned home. (in case there were any issues, I wanted them addressed before I came to pick up the boat.) and it was done. I went to get the boat and my Salesman "presented" the boat to me. We spent quite a bit of time going over the boat and he educated me on the boat and reviewed all kinds of information. We then went for a water test. At this time, I have no negative issues with the boat. I am assuming that if I have any issues the dealer will take care of them, but we shall see.

I could have saved maybe $3000-5000 at a dealer back east, but it just is not worth it to me. My dealer is less than 5 minutes from my house and the travel headaches would burn that up if I had to travel back east or had some issues. I like being able to drop by my dealer with questions or to get help solving a problem. Sometimes a face to face meeting is more productive than emails and phone calls.

Thats my story,

Cheers, Steve

I'm glad you had such a good experience and are happy with the boat.  I had a very positive experience with my dealer as well.  It's nice to see salesmen with good customer service skills.  

Sounds like I need to drive to Havasu when PADS strikes again. Congrats on the great boat and great experience! 

Congrats on the new toon and a great dealer.

Thanks all. We took her out today. This was our first outing. Spent a few hours heading north. Had a great time. Besides the wife and I, we had my cousin and his wife. We had a full tank of gas. We had a great time with no boat issues. I checked the location of the cavitation plate at cruise and trim and it is above the water in perfect position. Since this was a shakedown cruise, I was looking for any problems or issues. Knock on wood, all is good. The dealer did a very good job of setting up the boat. Doing my best to adhere to the break-in directions. The boat cruised along at 40mph and we hit 47 a few times.

Maybe there is one issue. I wonder if Bennington can reconfigure my rig so I can run twin 300's? :D

Cheers, Steve

Congrats on the beautiful boat. Sounds like a great dealer you found.

Back