Think I'm going to install these for ski/tube towing...

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I just don't want to spend $400 to $700 for a ski tow bar, so I got to thinking a little outside the box. If the factory holes in the back stern are strong enough to take on the force of a tow bar that is a couple of feet high, then they are going to handle even more weight force pulling directly back from them, so I'm thinking about two of these; one on each side where the factory holes are. I believe the holes are 3.5" apart, so these should be perfect. Then I can use a 3 point harness with the roller, to keep the weight distributed evenly across the two points of connection.

Large Stainless Steel Ski Eye, 3-1/2" diameter

Item # 11898

Customer Rating:

★★★★★★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.

(10)

Key Features

• Designed for inboard, I/O, and jet boats

• 1/2" steel bar with stainless finish

• Mounting hardware included

• Mounts through transoms up to 2-1/2" thick

11898_L1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one on our bowrider.  Strong, Easy to use.  I've noticed with the tow bar i get some scratching on my motor cowling from rope drag.

I was wondering how the rope affected the top of the motor. I'm thinking that with the setup I'm thinking about, the rope might make a little contact with the sides of the motor just above water level if the skier goes out wide, but I also might string a couple of those small foam noodles on the harness. I was hoping to get some feedback from those with the ski bars. 

I'd give input, but this is about all I can pull with my 20hp 

351d637361eaf02ea2dcb945538f06da.jpg

look up Riverbank video by Brad Paisley for more skiing squirrel, and some other stuff...

I love our factory tow bar. One thing you are going to get with that vs the tow bar is the rope will always be pulling you down vs up. I like to think of the tow bar as a mini tower. Worth the money in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice, Lakeliving. That's why I'm presenting my ideas here; for feedback on them. That's a good point. Although, I've never been pulled by anything higher then the transom of a boat, so I don't have any idea how it would feel, being pulled from a higher point. Might be something I really liked if I got the chance to try out a tow bar. 

If we towed our tube from anything lower than the factory tow bar it'd probably submarine all the time, no matter who's tube we toe if you don't lean/pull back when take off it submarines. It's a dead level  pull with a skier or wakeboard. Oh yeah, it's also perfect to tie the tube to when your done to let it dry. 

SpoiledRotten, not sure where you are located but I have a friend of mine that tinkers with used pontoon boats.  I think he's got a couple of used Bennington ski tow bars.  He's located in Rogers Arkansas and pretty sure he would sell one for considerably less than a new one if interested.

SpoiledRotten, not sure where you are located but I have a friend of mine that tinkers with used pontoon boats.  I think he's got a couple of used Bennington ski tow bars.  He's located in Rogers Arkansas and pretty sure he would sell one for considerably less than a new one if interested.

Just sent you a message.

Benny, thanks for the contact. Great guy. He did advise me to get out and just try out the boat/motor to see if it would actually pull me up before I spent any money on the accessories, which is great advice. He doesn't think my boat configuration as got enough lead in its britches to pull me up. So I'll hook up my "Y" harness to the holes in each side of the transom (where the rear of the tow bar bolts), and give it a shot. He said I'd be mighty disappointed if I spent the bucks, installed it, and then couldn't do anything but pull a tube with my boat. 

Benny, thanks for the contact. Great guy. He did advise me to get out and just try out the boat/motor to see if it would actually pull me up before I spent any money on the accessories, which is great advice. He doesn't think my boat configuration as got enough lead in its britches to pull me up. So I'll hook up my "Y" harness to the holes in each side of the transom (where the rear of the tow bar bolts), and give it a shot. He said I'd be mighty disappointed if I spent the bucks, installed it, and then couldn't do anything but pull a tube with my boat. 

That's a great person right there. Could have just pocketed the cash and moved on.

Back