Thinking of buying 2007 Bennington 2577 with 8.1L / 425 hp Mercruiser Bravo 1 I/O

skybwnd

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to pontoon boating and am thinking of purchasing a used 2007 Bennington 2577 with 8.1L / 425 hp Mercruiser Bravo 1 I/O. Any info for a newbie on purchasing, do's and don'ts, what to look for, ect. would be greatly appreciated. The engine has less than 100 hrs on it.

Thank you!

Boy, that badboy should fly! We have a (2007) 2275rl with a 150 and love it. Is the boat at a dealer or private? Where do you boat? Winterizing and servicing is more involved in a I/O than an outboard. You stated the boat is a 2277 and I'm assuming it's an "r" model. Some pics would be nice also.

Do Buy, Don't Look Back [after considering the following]. Wow a 2007 with under 100 hours. Can't really help you with pricing, some like Kelly Marine pricing some say it is not accurate. Perhaps get out and look at enough used pontoons in your area until you get a feel for pricing but the bottom line is what is it worth to you in terms of enjoyment. What was the initial asking price and then go in a little lower until you reach a compromise. the other part is this a dealer or someone that you can trust or even go back to? If it looks too good to be true then it probably will cause more frustration and regret than it is worth. I would rather overpay a little for peace of mind

The boat is on consignment at a dealer in Coeur D'alene, Idaho, they were asking $55900 for it but dropped it down to $45900....thinking about asking $40000 and go from there. I live in Billings, MT so will mostly be boating in Montana. There is also a 2007 2575 RFS with a 225hp outboard in the same town but different dealer that I will take a look at as well, they are asking $36900 for it. Going to look at both, but leaning towards the big motor. I've been looking for a pontoon boat for the last 8 months and this one really caught my eye. I work in Afghanistan so I won't be able to see the boat for a couple more days when I go home on break.

Carls right about where you boat and amount of servicing on the I/O. Seems like about the same boat excepting I/O vs OB. Maybe get the outboard and if you still want a bigger motor, check to see if the boat specs allow for a higher HP and replace it down the road for a larger engine that can easily be removed and put on a new or newer boat in a couple years. Just my thoughts. Gerry

Sky,

Call Tom Rispen at Montana Boat Center in Helena. They've been Benny dealer for several years. You won't meet a more honest guy. Just bought a new 24SSL from him. He's out of town until Thursday but he will give you the straight scoop.

Just remember to look at long term expense. If outboard goes bad, it's a simple swap, I/O....different story.

Yeah, they are two different animals so you need to look at your budget/mechanical abilities or constraints.

I personally would have no issue swapping a I/O motor, but I'm very mechanically inclined.

My opinion is go with what your budget allows, and as said a hundred times before, no one complains about a motor with

"too much power"

Smitty

Semper,

Mark Donahue was rumored to have said, "Too much is just enough."

I am awaiting delviery of my Q25 with an 8.2.... my last peremier had a 377 mag, and wished i had steped up.. so i did.. there is no substute for HP...

Do it (and pictures when you do)!

Jack

Back