This trolling motor?????

Tailgate

Reaction score
 I think I'm ready to pull the trigger but welcome all advice..

20 foot SSX (fishing chairs in rear)

70 HP Yahama

Fishing a Texas lake.. usually only a couple of folks on board for fishing.

looking at Minn Kota 80lb thrust Terranova with I-Pilot.. 60 inch shaft.  This would be a bow mount unit. 

I haven' measured yet, but I'm sure the 40 inch shaft is not the one I need.  I just need to make sure the 60 inch clears all the furniture.  Looking at MotoBatt batteries (AGM) for the 24 V system.  

Please weigh in if you have experience or advice...  Bob  

On my 2275Gsi(similar layout to SSX), I had the MinnKota Powerdrive V2 70 - 60" with iPilot. 

I didn't have the trolling motor front door.  The deck was extended approx 18". I would just pull straight up and remove from bow when not needed. I used walmart deep cycle batteries and they served me well.  I mounted a 2 bank 10amp charger under helm (near batteries).

I could get about 3mph with this setup (when not windy).  It did exactly what I needed on my lake. I plan on mounting it to new tritoon in the spring.

Looking at the SSX pictures, it looks like you will need the Trolling motor door.  The deck is not extended enough for the base unit to be mounted with the door closed.  The 60" Terrova 80 or PD v2 70 will do well for you.   Terrova has larger base than the PD v2.  I never used foot pad so I don't see advantage of Terrova.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the PD v2 12 volt on a 22' twin tube toon.  I think it is the 52" shaft and it works well.  I used the foot switch for years and then got the remote.  With the remote you can lose track of how much power you are using.  The foot switch is easier if you are not moving around the boat much. I can get a whole day but need to recharge nightly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to my dealer yesterday and ordered my setup...with his advice,  Terranova 80lb, 45 inch shaft, pilot, comes with foot switch too.. 2 interstate batteries for 24 volts, 50 amp circuit breaker, installed for $2,050 all in.  Plus there's an $80 rebate in play from Minn Kota..  set up is pricy, but I just don't want to be disappointed with a smaller motor.  Everyone I've talked with about Ipilot say it is amazing and they wouldn't do without it.  Thanks all for the info.  

btw, the dealer's price on my setup was competitive with all the online guys i researched... even with sales tax figured in.

Went to my dealer yesterday and ordered my setup...with his advice,  Terranova 80lb, 45 inch shaft, pilot, comes with foot switch too.. 2 interstate batteries for 24 volts, 50 amp circuit breaker, installed for $2,050 all in.  Plus there's an $80 rebate in play from Minn Kota..  set up is pricy, but I just don't want to be disappointed with a smaller motor.  Everyone I've talked with about Ipilot say it is amazing and they wouldn't do without it.  Thanks all for the info.  
Congrats!

Yes, you will love the iPilot.   As you probably know, the LCD tells you your GPS speed and your power settings.  I walk around my pontoon, so I just leave it around my neck.  The only complaint is that if you can't see the top of the TM, you can tell which way it is pointed.  Small nit, but seems easy enough to put a pointer on the display to tell you which way it is pointed.  This is where the 60" is nice.  You can see it when in the back of the boat with people and dogs roaming around.  45" will be almost on the deck and difficult to see. 

I have my lake mapped out.  It is awesome for bass fishing.  I just replay one of my tracks set the speed (can also be gps controlled to hold constant speed even into wind) and start casting.    I've tried the anchor mode and it works *just ok* on the pontoon.  Maybe a bigger motor would help, but it seems to over correct with the weight/resistance of the pontoon.  Can't hold better than about a 20' circle. 

This is where the 60" is nice.  

The dealer talked me out of the 60' because of the real estate it would use when it is in the up position... I see your point though, I think I'll just have to deal with it... am excited about the iPilot!   The crappie and white bass spawn is in the next few weeks.. it's going to be a lot of fun using the TM when the fish are going crazy.

Back