Through hull Alumaducer.

I am thinking about installing one of these in the center Tube.
Has anyone done this.
That would most likely void the warranty on the center toon

Not familar with these, or this product, at all. Does it require modification (Drilling or cutting) the center hull on a tritoon, or does it somehow transmit/receive through the hull without any modifications? Curious to learn more about what it is, how it works, if its effective, etc…

That would most likely void the warranty on the center toon
The Alumaducer is a through the hull transducer. No need to cut a hole.
Its a new product that can read through aluminum boats and pontoones. I installed one on my previous 32' Offshore boat worked like a charm since it was front of all the turbulace. Accurate at any speed.
This is my next project for my retired dudes pontoon boat .

How is it mounted ? Is it wireless ?
I'd be interested with no holes or cutting reqired . Do you have a link for it ?

I found it, not sure how it would work on pontoon. From the description I read, it sounds like it is for a traditional hull aluminum boat .

Its glued to the hull inside.
Like I said I installed one in my previous boat in bilge are worked beatifully. No they developed a tranducer that works inside aluminium hulls including pontoon tubes.
I called and sent them the tube thicknes of my pontoon and they confirmed that it will work no problem.
The spot where its installed has to be clean and perfectly dry. After installation it will work in flodded bilge no issues.

I found it, not sure how it would work on pontoon. From the description I read, it sounds like it is for a traditional hull aluminum boat .
I am thinking of installing it in the center tube or in the motor mount.
Will be contacting Bennington to see if there isva pathway from the center toon to the helm.

I would start by using the toilet wax method and seeing what locations work best before expoxying or other permanent adhesive. From the transom well you have good access to the undercarriage and be able to fish it up to the helm. If you're in the front storage area you might have to drill out to the helm side - I don't recall open an area to the underside of the deck (for obvious reasons). If you're in the rear of the storage area it will likely be occupied by your fuel tank and no easy way to get to the bottom. Good luck and please post results!

Interesting. Keep us posted. Good luck!

Next question would be "IF" it is mounted too far forward in the center tube as originally stated ,and you are up on plane ,will it read through air ?
Since the transom is much thicker than the pontoons ,what is the maximum thickness it will read though ?
I am asking ,because I like the idea .

I would start by using the toilet wax method and seeing what locations work best before expoxying or other permanent adhesive. From the transom well you have good access to the undercarriage and be able to fish it up to the helm. If you're in the front storage area you might have to drill out to the helm side - I don't recall open an area to the underside of the deck (for obvious reasons). If you're in the rear of the storage area it will likely be occupied by your fuel tank and no easy way to get to the bottom. Good luck and please post results!

what's the toilet wax method? sorry for the noob question!

I would guess ,try it first with a toilet wax ring or a similar substance before mounting it permanently

what's the toilet wax method? sorry for the noob question!

The wax acts as a liquid so the transducer can send and receive through it, and has the additional benefit of stickiness so the transducer will temporarily be adhered to the hull bottom while you test different locations.

A transducer can't send or receive through air so whatever you use has to be solidly connecting the ducer to the hull. You could build a little corral on the hull bottom and pour water into it, use vaseline or heck you could probably even use peanut butter! On the flip side you don't want anything that dampens the acoustics so I don't think using silicone would work. You'll read arguments for and against silicone online but I would imagine even if it did work, it would degrade the performance of your sonar. There's a reason why submarines have anechoic (rubber) tiles mounted on their hulls.

I’ll be following this thread too. If it can be put in a workable spot, that’d sure be a nice change up in getting the transducer out of the turbulence and presumably get reliable readings at all speeds.

I mounted a transducer on the end of the lifting strakes on a ESP center tube. It does not work above 10 mph. The attach photo shows why it did not work. There is a lot of air bubbles coming off the lifting strakes at speed. Being able to mount the transducer near the center of the tube might make all the difference in the world. With regard to warranty there is a lot of positive history on this type of application on fiberglass boats. Better yet glue on attachment in a flooded area makes hull leakage a non issue. I will be following this thread.1707771591545.jpeg

Up to 1000 feet!!

From there, I found a variety of similar products, including Garmin
Though the specs say fiberglass only.

Very interesting product! I wonder though if the Keels on our ESP/SPS models would create a problem?

The wax acts as a liquid so the transducer can send and receive through it, and has the additional benefit of stickiness so the transducer will temporarily be adhered to the hull bottom while you test different locations.

A transducer can't send or receive through air so whatever you use has to be solidly connecting the ducer to the hull. You could build a little corral on the hull bottom and pour water into it, use vaseline or heck you could probably even use peanut butter! On the flip side you don't want anything that dampens the acoustics so I don't think using silicone would work. You'll read arguments for and against silicone online but I would imagine even if it did work, it would degrade the performance of your sonar. There's a reason why submarines have anechoic (rubber) tiles mounted on their hulls.

Peanut Butter + Marketing department = gold mine... :D

Back