Total depression

mtudb24

Reaction score
Well, the water levels have dropped so much the great Lakes and surround lakes, that looks like I'll have to go to a marina this year instead of keeping the boat parked in front of the house.

No plans for our association to dredge this year.

I have no idea how the great Lakes can drop several Feet each year.

Todd

IMG_20130324_140830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That was starting to be a problem when I moved from Buffalo back in '98. Lake Erie was down around 2 feet at that time, and experts warned that the lakes were losing water at an alarming rate. It is due to the climate, not enough water going in and a lot more being taken out by all the cities/towns/municipalities that are in the US and Canada.

They are even finding old shipwrecks being exposed because of the water drop.

Wow mtubd, that is a dramatic photo. When did it start going down?

Well, the water levels have dropped so much the great Lakes and surround lakes, that looks like I'll have to go to a marina this year instead of keeping the boat parked in front of the house.

No plans for our association to dredge this year.

I have no idea how the great Lakes can drop several Feet each year.

Todd
Did you guys have a drop in total snowfall for the year? Drove down to the lake one day last week to check out the boat and if anything the water level has gone up! We didn't get alot of snowfall but had alot of rain this winter.................

Up in the Up (houghton specific), 81 year average is 187 inches. They have 253 inches to date. We are about average at our place. We had a 10" drop last November in just 2 days. Rumors / theories run from selling water to other states, to letting the locks and or gates open in Chicago to keep the barges on the Mississippi floating, Niagara Falls shutting down water flow etc.

It's been going down slowly for about 15 years, but not like this. We re down 17 inches from Sept 2012.

The DEQ is struggling to get permits out and the back log or lack of dredgers, the waiting list can be years. Now people are worried about the sea walls caving in. You can see old water marks on the steel walls at the entrance of he canal. They only put them so far into the ground 40 years ago, so the dredgers will only so close to the sea wall. Most people have had to build docks that attach to the sea wall but then it makes the canal a bit narrow.

My wife asked (she's a RN) if I needed a sitter because she was worried I would be on suicide alert after sending this picture to her....

I'll keep ya all posted

Thanks

Todd

Summer 2009. My cousin bought his new boat. Going out of our same canal as my fist pic.

That will be 4 years in June

SMH

Todd

95facebook95-158328052295.jpg

That is crazy. I've also heard about letting all the water flow through Chicago. I think it is BS. Where is our royalties for the water????

Wow! Huge difference! What about ALL the people with waterfront homes in the rest of the lakes? What's their recourse?

Several months ago I read a article on the Great Lakes water levels and one of the major problems was the dredging of the St Clair river causing water loss from the upper lakes.

I think there may be something going on that they are not telling us. I know that for years and years the Great Lake's states wanted to sell the water to the southwest states. Supposedly that was quashed, but who knows?

Having lived 1/2 from Niagara Falls, that water is 'recirculated' and the only complaints are when the power companies divert too much water to the generators thusly really impacting the look of the falls. But the water eventually all ends up going over and into Lake Ontario. Problem is, Lake ONtario is down a lot too.

So where is this water going? Chicago alone wouldn't have this much impact. The differences are getting startling.

Hit the link above to compare my original photo to now

Todd

Hope it continues to rise for you mtudb

This thread totally killed my attitude today. Between the crappy weather we are having here in Michigan and now reading and seeing the proof here it seriously makes me wonder whats happening to my beloved home state.

Nerosync

It's been like a reoccurring nitemare for about the last 15 years. Then people forget about because they get the canals and cuts dredged. But that only solves certain things. Perch don't come in the canals to spawn anymore. It's down right dangerous boating as we are now below chart datum, and if you don't know your way around, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I really wish somebody would find the root cause of the issue.

Todd

The other wow factor is the water has gone down foe so any years now, dredging companies won't get within 4 feet of your seawall if it's older then 10years. Worried about the caving in. They were put far enough down back then, no no water pressure to hold them up

Back