Tow Bar Removal???

DAVECS1

Reaction score
So just picked up a 2023 SXSB love everything about it, even the Tow Bar.

The Tow bar is less than a 1/4 inch from hitting my garage door when I pull it inside.

I have heard the Turbo Swing is an excellent substitute for the Tow Bar.

When I looked to see how it was attached, the complete underside in the back had aluminum rivetted on. Does that have to come off to access the nuts for the tow bar. I was thinking I would just fab some stainless plates to block off where it was and maybe make a bumper holder in that spot

I'm not following. As long as it clears, why remove it?
Is it the actual header it's close to hitting? or just the door? Most door openers have adjustable height limits. Can you simply fully open the door and eliminate your concern?
FWIW, less drop on your hitch will also lower the rear of pontoon.

it is very close to hitting the lateral supports on the door. I can leave it as is, and that would work, I am a bit interested in the Turbo swing, and it would allieviate and future issues

I can't answer your question about unbolting the existing, but i will say i do like the turboswing. I had to go that route as Bennington does not make a to bar that will work with the 22svsr and the 200 yamaha :(. i'm sure that the tow bar would be easier to hook up lines to (right now i have to step out and lean on the motor to get to the lines) though.

it is very close to hitting the lateral supports on the door. I can leave it as is, and that would work, I am a bit interested in the Turbo swing, and it would allieviate and future issues
I would think (have NOT tried the turbo swing) the tow bar is better for Wake/Skiing with an upward or at least horizontal pull!???

Last edited:
tow bar would be marginally better with a little more upward pull, but not by much since it would only be about 1' higher than the TS.

I’m a big fan of the turbo swing myself. We like that it clears room on the aft deck (some like it cleared, others prefer a tow bar like a railing). Has a better tow rating. Can be an easy on and off item unlike a traditional tow bar. We ordered our boat with a turbo swing instead of the standard tow bar.

That said, if we had bought a pre-optioned boat with a tow bar, I wouldn’t bother removing it so long as it was working out. The tow rope angle is going to be better for some water sports as well with one. So in my mind, that is one redeeming advantage of the tow bar.

Robburns mentioned leaning on a the motor to get rope. We just use a normal telescoping boat hook to grab the attachment point and bring it within arms reach. A simple telescoping boat hook can eliminate that issue.

Last edited:
The higher tow point may also help eliminate the possibility of submarining of a towable when at slower speeds when passengers start goofing around! At which point I usually would punch it and "clear the playing field" shall we say!

yeah not sure what I am going to do yet. I went a little nuts with a lithium house battery upgrade, so may cool it for the rest of the season.

Back