Towing with a Mooring Cover Follow Up and a Question or Two

Noah Genda

Reaction score
Lesson learned other than don't tow with the mooring cover on (and secure anything that isn't bolted down, i.e., cushions) is: If you do, the inside of the cover will leave residue from the rubbing friction on the boat. After all, your cover becomes a horizontal sail. Lots of force from the wind.

We got the boat cleaned up yesterday, but we found a couple of places where the cover rubbed off on the boat. I remember the helm specifically. Fortunately, a little cleaner and elbow grease removed the marks.

When we took the boat out, I noticed a couple of things. Before I started the motor, all three gauges were free from condensation. But after a few minutes of running - and I noticed this last season - one of the gauges, fuel etc. I think, had moisture in it. Repair or replace? Boat is under warranty.

Second, eating my lunch on the lake with the motor off, I noticed my tach was registering less than 1000 RPMs and I was traveling 3 MPH, sitting still. Is this a Bennington issue or a Suzuki issue? Or is there a quick adjustment I can make and reset them to zero? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Hey Noah, glad to hear there was no substantial damage!

I had some condensation in the gauges after getting caught out in the rain, a day in the sun cleared it up, and have'nt had any since. Are yours getting the chance to really dry out?

When you noticed the needle readings was the key off? Or was the key on? If the key was off, i would say that you don't really have a problem, that's just where the needle comes to rest with no power applied to the gauge.

But, i would talk to your service department to be sure.

Edit, i guess i forgot to ask if the gauges are digital or analog, so disregard the needle question if they are digital....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back