Towing

Looney Tooney

Reaction score
Should the outboard be trim up or trim down when towing ? My salesman told me trim up with it locked , i have read that if you hit a bad bump in the road the lock latch could pop loose then it would bounce up and down which would stress the transom.

No experience here but I've seen "transom bars" going down the highway. I'm sure those on this board that trailer on a regular basis will jump in with some real world experience. Welcome!

On the Suzuki, my benni sales rep said to bring it just up to the two cylinders extended and let it ride on those. My neighbor used to ride his merc near horizontal. Seems to me, no matter what, you have 4-500 pounds hanging out there. There is probably some counterbalance unloading but it's still there. I like to have it up a bit just to avoid the potential of dragging the skeg. It's like one of those Ford vs Chevy things.

Should the outboard be trim up or trim down when towing ? My salesman told me trim up with it locked , i have read that if you hit a bad bump in the road the lock latch could pop loose then it would bounce up and down which would stress the transom.
Towed a Benny for 15 years and always with the motor trimmed down , never came close to hitting the skeg on anything. To be sure you could look at the boat and motor on the trailer, and take some measurements, but the boat rides so high on a bunk type trailer that I don't think you have any worries.

I've always towed our boat with the outdrive in the up position even though there is probably plenty of clearance. Just a habit from when we had our bowrider.......

With the leg all the way down there is usually plenty of clearance. One exception is backing up a hill. Don't ask me how I know :)
Now I just lift the motor up a bit and place a chunk of 4x4 between the transom and the motor and then lower the leg onto the block. It gives extra clearance, still supports everything, and is darn near free.

I was always with trim all the way down. First couple times backing in and pulling out of the driveway I always had the wife standing there watching to be sure, never had an issue

B2857E93-62EF-48B0-8FB4-760F16856C2A.jpeg

The owners manual for my 2018 Yamaha 150 states that the Locking Mechanism is NOT to be used during towing. Its purpose is a safety device for Service. However, my dealer uses this when he tows his boat. Sounds like a CYA statement from Yamaha. That said, I purchased the Yamaha Engine Tilt device which works well.

I use the Transom Saver when I tow for long distances at highway speeds. I've also read that the locking tab is only for service safety and could break under a load on the road. Using the Transom Saver, I also make sure my boat is strapped down very well, front and back. I don't want the boat bouncing and the motor secured. That would be as bad or worse than the boat secured and the motor bouncing.

View attachment 22380

The owners manual for my 2018 Yamaha 150 states that the Locking Mechanism is NOT to be used during towing. Its purpose is a safety device for Service. However, my dealer uses this when he tows his boat. Sounds like a CYA statement from Yamaha. That said, I purchased the Yamaha Engine Tilt device which works well.

This is what I use.

The Locking Mechanism is NOT to be used during towing. It is for service purposes only. In my Yamaha manual.

I trailer with mine in "mid-trim" position.
Please be sure and strap the back of your boat to the trailer. Most good trailers have tie-down anchor positions. Trailer safe everyone! And check your straps. They can heat-rot and weaken over time. Well, maybe down here. We are already at 95-96 degrees.

Thanks everyone for the feedback . I will keep it down until loading and unloading at the boat ramp, I have 16" of clearance with 25" 150 .

I also use the Yamaha Trailering Support (MAR-MTSPT-YM-10). Actually two for my engine. They're nice because they act like little shock absorbers and take the strain off the rams. I started using them when I had my SW fishing boat with twin Yamaha 150's. When I was in the San Diego area, I know of a couple guys that had their transoms crack on fiberglass boats from towing with the engine resting on the "kick stand." The kick stand is to be used when servicing the engine, not for towing.

Back