Tragedy on Lake Norman

cwag911

Reaction score
My wife and I go out to dinner frequently during the week on our boat and I see at least 1 boat every time pulling someone behind it after dark.  They are asking for an accident. Very sad

Not that it matters but now they're saying that she was on a kneeboard.......

My daughter was here so we went out on both days.........found a quiet cove off the main channel so she could wakeboard/ski and just hung out and ate. To say that it is busy out there is a vast understatement. Unreal! Hundreds of boats and jet skis all over the place! Almost have to have eyes in the back of your head......

We were out last night to watch the firework show at Trump National. The number of incredibly intoxicated boat operators was astounding!

Sad. I can't stand those that just drink and drink and drink all day. There are some low life's on our lake that were hitting it hard Saturday. We anchored out of the way and watched the madness from a safe distance.

We were out last night to watch the firework show at Trump National. The number of incredibly intoxicated boat operators was astounding!
We wanted to see the fireworks at the Point but we were at a luau on High Rock lake. Where do they shoot them from?!?

Sad. I can't stand those that just drink and drink and drink all day. There are some low life's on our lake that were hitting it hard Saturday. We anchored out of the way and watched the madness from a safe distance.
I understand what you are saying.  Don't forget though, an adult male if on the water for 8 hours, could easily have 16 beers during that time and not be legally drunk.  Many people do not realize this, or they do, but just don't do the math in their heads.  That is two beers an hour which an adult male will not blow over the limit.

I guess my point is, it may look like some people are hitting it hard all day because they always have a beer in hand, but in actuality they are within the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
We wanted to see the fireworks at the Point but we were at a luau on High Rock lake. Where do they shoot them from?!?
They shoot them off from the back side of the clubhouse. The cove was the best seat in the house to watch their show. All of those giant mansions have contests to put on the biggest private shows as well, so it was 360* of action.

I'd guess there were 500+ boats anchored for the event. Everyone was incredibly respectful leaving the cove which made it much less stressful with my family on board.

I understand what you are saying.  Don't forget though, an adult male if on the water for 8 hours, could easily have 16 beers during that time and not be legally drunk.  Many people do not realize this, or they do, but just don't do the math in their heads.  That is two beers an hour which an adult male will not blow over the limit.

I guess my point is, it may look like some people are hitting it hard all day because they always have a beer in hand, but in actuality they are within the law.
I hear you but I am different than most. I don't need a beer in my hand all day to have a good time at the lake! My wife and I were people watching and some would not set their drink down no matter what!!! Regardless a life was lost from someone drinking and boating and it could have been avoided. I'm in Risk Management so I tend to limit my exposure to loss.

Actually, pretty sure 16 beer in 8 hours will make anyone legally drunk. Not sure what the laws are in the different states, but a 230lb male will have a BA level of around .147-.185ish. Which is definitely illegal here. We get a "warn" up to .05, a 24h suspension between .05-.08, and a big fine and fail for over .08.  Car is impounded for 3 months, license is pulled for a year, you have to take a bunch of courses and pay about $1000 to get your license back. PLUS pay impound fees on your vehicle!  I disagree with the suspension for between .05-.08, to me that is stupid, the law is .08, so why penalize me if I am still within the law? Anyways, I never do it. For me it's also costing me my job, which means bye bye boat and everything else I have! It's not hard to go out on the water and be responsible and drink coke or iced tea. 

I hear you but I am different than most. I don't need a beer in my hand all day to have a good time at the lake! My wife and I were people watching and some would not set their drink down no matter what!!! Regardless a life was lost from someone drinking and boating and it could have been avoided. I'm in Risk Management so I tend to limit my exposure to loss.
I agree 100%! I never need a beer in my hand, quite frankly, because I find it tastes gross. Now, Rum and Rye, we are talking! I save the partying for the streets and the fun for the lake.

What burned me this weekend was on the Missouri river in the Bismarck Mandan area it is so extremely congested for about a 20 mile stretch of the river system and then people think that these weekends are the best time to pull tubers and skiers in these areas, can't believe nobody was killed here this weekend due to their inability to realize this was not the time or place for that.

Yes, It is terrible a life was lost.  All I am saying is appearance is not the whole story, because someone has a beer in hand more often than not, they may not be breaking the law.

Actually, pretty sure 16 beer in 8 hours will make anyone legally drunk. Not sure what the laws are in the different states, but a 230lb male will have a BA level of around .147-.185ish. Which is definitely illegal here. We get a "warn" up to .05, a 24h suspension between .05-.08, and a big fine and fail for over .08.  Car is impounded for 3 months, license is pulled for a year, you have to take a bunch of courses and pay about $1000 to get your license back. PLUS pay impound fees on your vehicle!  I disagree with the suspension for between .05-.08, to me that is stupid, the law is .08, so why penalize me if I am still within the law? Anyways, I never do it. For me it's also costing me my job, which means bye bye boat and everything else I have! It's not hard to go out on the water and be responsible and drink coke or iced tea. 
No, any adult male at 230lbs will still be under the limit with 2 beers per hour.  Not sure but most States do not have the law you refer to.  .08 is the limit in most States.  In Maine if you are found intoxicated operating your boat it is a $600 fine and the possibility of jail time, depending on how far over the limit.  It does not go against your drivers license.

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT...... Ok, Yes, I see why my numbers and yours are different, I drink lite beer so was referring to lite beer (Coors lite or Miller Lite).  I did not realize there was that much of a difference between Lite beer and regular beer.  I sure am glad I stick with Lite beer then!!  So you are correct, many people do drink regular beer and it will put you way over the limit.

230lb male 16 beers in 8 hours is .062  here is the link

http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/#LinkURL

If you are going to boat and drink, do it responsibly and stay within the law!

I am not saying to boat intoxicated, just stating that many times I will have a beer in my hand and be within the law.  I hate readings about these tragedies that could have been avoided.

My wife and I do not mix boating and alcohol. Never have!

Guests onboard are welcome to drink and we've even brought alcohol for them but we have never consumed any.......

No, any adult male at 230lbs will still be under the limit with 2 beers per hour.  Not sure but most States do not have the law you refer to.  .08 is the limit in most States.  In Maine if you are found intoxicated operating your boat it is a $600 fine and the possibility of jail time, depending on how far over the limit.  It does not go against your drivers license.

EDIT, EDIT, EDIT...... Ok, Yes, I see why my numbers and yours are different, I drink lite beer so was referring to lite beer (Coors lite or Miller Lite).  I did not realize there was that much of a difference between Lite beer and regular beer.  I sure am glad I stick with Lite beer then!!  So you are correct, many people do drink regular beer and it will put you way over the limit.

230lb male 16 beers in 8 hours is .062  here is the link

http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/#LinkURL

If you are going to boat and drink, do it responsibly and stay within the law!

I am not saying to boat intoxicated, just stating that many times I will have a beer in my hand and be within the law.  I hate readings about these tragedies that could have been avoided.
I hate to stay on this, but I think your numbers are still wrong. The brands you mentioned I believe have an alcohol level of 4.4% and 4.36%, based on this Universty of Notre Dame calculator

http://oade.nd.edu/educate-yourself-alcohol/blood-alcohol-concentration/bac-calculator/ 

you are still going to be WAY over. I am sure you are responsible when you drink and boat, I just would hate for someone to read this and think they are OK, when they aren't. I did a lot of stupid things while drinking when I was younger, I'm just happy that nothing bad happened, but I learned my lesson, never again. It doesn't hurt that here in Manitoba, any alcohol on a boat is illegal ,so I never have to worry about it! I guess the only thing that needs to be said to finish all this is, Drink responsibly, and for a driver, not at all.

I have stayed out of this topic, but find I must respond. I have three absolute rules on my boat. The first one is no alcohol is allowed on the boat, Period. In case of an emergency, I want everyone to bring their A game. I have been boating since the 60's. I have rescued people after their boat exploded, capsized, tipped on its side, or just fell off. I go out to enjoy my boating time. I find that folks who are drinking can be a problem, even if not "legally" under the influence. They may be grouchy, tired, fall asleep, unobservant, lazy or may not think as quickly or logically as an emergency situation arises. Many people may also suffer these traits without the benefit of alcohol, but on my boat, I do my best to minimize these behaviors.

Too many people die and are injured each year due to accidents, stupidity and many times alcohol is a factor. I have friends who have died on the water and I have learned to respect the water. It is amazing how quick and in such a benign way an emergency may arise. I also know for a fact that due to being on my A game, there are two idiots that are still alive. Lastly, who needs the headache, both criminal and civil not to mention emotionally, of being in an accident or fatality while drinking and driving--even if not legally under the influence?

To those who do not like my rules, as they leave the boat, they are invited to observe the mistletoe hanging from my shirt tail. And yes, I do drink, but not when boating.

Cheers, Steve

Very well said Steve. And if you weren't so damn far away, I would love to boat with you.

I love a relaxing pontoon ride with a very large cocktail or several beers.

Really, that is "as good as it gets".

Here is what I find silly,

Law enforcement will spend all day stopping pontoons traveling at a rate of 5 mph

to make sure there are enough life vests.

This is nothing more than an excuse to get a closer judgment  to whether or not the driver

has over-indulged.

Meanwhile, people on pwc's are jumping wakes, running well over 60 mph and being ridden

by 12 year olds, but they do not get a second look.

The officers know we love to enjoy our cocktail cruise, so we are easier pickins than anything else.

In other words, they are to lazy to actually do their job when there is low hanging fruit to be picked.

Yeah, I probably should not have commented after all.

If the pwc rider is in compliance why should he be pulled over more than a boater with a drink in hand? I drive ours at 60, jump wakes etc. I do stay way back and am always looking for boats and fallen riders. One of our local guys who does not live on the lake and parties all weekend almost took me out while I was on our ski and he was in his speed boat. Living on the lake you see what is happening 24/7 and who is on it, how they behave and how they boat. We have some real a holes that visit our lake regularly. They are probably the exception but it still puts a bad stigma out there on drinking and boating. I know the members here are responsible and I commend you all for that. Please keep up the good work and keep our waters safe. And if I or a family member is ever hit by a drunk.....I pray the good lord will keep me from taking their life with my bare hands.

Back