Trailer 25 QSB w X5

What's the towing capacity of the X5?

It should tow it. How far are you going?

It will tow it but can it stop it. That is a big heavy long boat. In an emergency situation , I would want a bigger tow vehicle.

It would also depend on if the trailer itself had either electric or surge brakes and if the X5 has the factory tow package.
No tow package. The trailer has surge brakes. I’m in AZ, so mainly flat roads here and shorter trips to the lakes. Unless I attempt havasu.

Agree with Remediation. The BMW X5 is a relatively small vehicle. Although it has the capacity to pull it can it safely stop it? That 25 Q has got to be between 4250-4750 lbs. Maybe closer to 5000......

It was already mentioned but the short wheel base would make me nervous.

I agree about the short wheelbase concerns, could definitely be some push / pull while braking. I would DEFINITELY make sure your tongue weight is spot on the recommendation.

FYI, our 25RCW with gear, fuel, extra battery, etc and trailer is 6400 lbs on the scale. Your setup with trailer may be heavier than you think.

@gnc1017...That's why I am thinking as well..

Just trying to get feedback with members on here with an X5 Xdrive on here that pulls a Benny??

I may be looking for a decent used truck to pull this.

I am going to take a guess that the sample size of people on the forum with both an X5 and a 25Q is pretty small. I pulled my first Bennington the first summer with a Ford explorer. Fortunately, not very often as that was dangerous. Purchased a Ford F-150 the following winter in preparation for boating season and have had one since. I have also had three BMW’s but not an X5 and my opinion is that Q25 with trailer is to heavy. You may get away with it on a short trip but it will be riskly.

Ray is right, especially without the factory tow package which usually includes bigger cooling system and on some vehicles larger brakes.

Last year I pulled our GCW 2574 with my Acadia (tow package) about a mile to the boat launch and was glad that I didn't have to go any further. Although within the vehicles towing capacity, I definitely knew it was behind me!

Back