Trailer Brake Controllers

Great Dane

Reaction score
Heres a stupid question.... is this the plug in that my trailer brake controller plugs into? Our truck is a 2004 Suburban. I haven't purchased a brake controller yet, so if there are specific things I should be looking for in one, let me know please!
gallery_6620_742_534580.jpg

I'm not a mechanic but isn't that where the computer scanner hook up is? Seems like autozone always hooks their device up to it when I had a hoopty.

That looks like your ODBII scanner port.

Your brake controller does not hook up to that.

I think a brake controller on a 11 year old vehicle will have to be hard wired and not a plug-in. Is the trailer hitch and wiring from the factory? You might want to ask a Chevy dealer.

I stand corrected. Nice find Bruce.

Nice! That helps a lot!

Our 2009 Burb has a builtin controller.  I could not remember if the 2004 was built in and it is in Kentucky so I couldn't look.  Google is a wonderful thing except now I will be getting ads for trailer parts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to promote a particular brand, but Hopkins makes a nice line of "plug and play" brake controllers. They sell the wiring adapters specific to your vehicle that plug straight into your fuse/accessory panel, no hard wiring needed.

Mind you, this covers vehicles that have the base towing package from the factory, but most p/u/suv's come that way nowadays.

www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com

I really like my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller.  I believe it is one of the best and they have plug and play harness packages as in the link below (for your 2004).  Very easy install.  I've had mine for 6 years and has been flawless.

http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2004_Chevrolet_Suburban.htm

Thanks for the replies guys, is there a good place to go and actually see these units? Or are you better off just buying online?

Thanks for the replies guys, is there a good place to go and actually see these units? Or are you better off just buying online?
Any RV place will sell them.

Another vote for the P3. We have it in our '06 GMC Duramax for our 5th wheel. Works great. No issues with it,

Can you convert a surge brake setup to electrical easily?

Edit: Nevermind. Seems to be a job. I would sell the trailer and go to elec/disc if I eneded up in FL so would just purchase a different one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At the boat show, somebody was selling a conversion kit for $799.  I have been pulling boat trailers for years and never seen the need to upgrade above surge brakes for a tandem axle trailer but I never pull with an undersized tow vehicle. The race car trailer was a different story, applying only the trailer brakes straightened the trailer and  kept it from jackknifing. That was a change your pants highway moment. 

I really like my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller.  I believe it is one of the best and they have plug and play harness packages as in the link below (for your 2004).  Very easy install.  I've had mine for 6 years and has been flawless.

http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2004_Chevrolet_Suburban.htm
I use this one also on my Tahoo and Silverado with wire harness from them, just unplug and move back and forth. Great link fastmnstealth.

Tekinsha is preferred for campers and 5th wheels too.

Great Dane does your trailer have surge brakes or electric? I believe that surge brakes are self contained and doesn't need a aftermarket brake control like electric.

Great Dane does your trailer have surge brakes or electric? I believe that surge brakes are self contained and doesn't need a aftermarket brake control like electric.
This is a great question.  Most boat trailers are non-electric surge brakes (disc or drum).   I know that there are some available that have an electric driven actuator for the surge brakes, but much more rare.  I've not known any boat trailers to have the traditional electric drum brakes with the electromagnet to actuate the brakes (like most car/travel/5-wheel trailers).  Probably a corrosion issue.

Great Dane - I believe you said you got your boat from Miller Marine.  I did too and they sell the Yacht Club and Shoreland'r trailers.  I got the Yacht Club and it has traditional surge brakes that dont require an electric controller.  The brakes are all self contained.  I assume it is similar with the Shoreland'r.

This is a great question.  Most boat trailers are non-electric surge brakes (disc or drum).   I know that there are some available that have an electric driven actuator for the surge brakes, but much more rare.  I've not known any boat trailers to have the traditional electric drum brakes with the electromagnet to actuate the brakes (like most car/travel/5-wheel trailers).  Probably a corrosion issue.

Great Dane - I believe you said you got your boat from Miller Marine.  I did too and they sell the Yacht Club and Shoreland'r trailers.  I got the Yacht Club and it has traditional surge brakes that dont require an electric controller.  The brakes are all self contained.  I assume it is similar with the Shoreland'r.
Yup, got it from Miller, and yes it is a Yacht Club trailer. Model number PTB2244T. I'll have to ask someone at the dealership, maybe I don't need the controller after all. Thanks again for the great info everyone!

Also have a Yacht Club trailer and from Miller and the model number sounds familiar. I am pretty sure yours is surge brakes, so no controller would be needed.

Back