Trailer for 22 SFX Tri-Toon

tyjy

Reaction score
For a 22' SFX with the SPS tri-toon package and 150 hp motor...what trailer would you recommend or any advice/tips/things to look for?

We live in Wisconsin and seem to think from reading that trailer manufacturers are regional? ie: not all trailers are available in all areas? is that true? (did read another thread suggesting the trailersforpontoons.com)

Wondering what options we really should have? Travel will usually be just putting it in the water in spring and taking out in fall & storing nearby. There are some hills to contend with as we're in the Driftless Area by Mississippi River (SW Wisconsin) so high bluffs and low valleys. It's possible we'll drive across state 200-300 miles away but that'd be rare.

From reading it seems we have decisions about:

Scissor trailer or bunk trailer?

Tandem axel?

Disc brakes?

Brakes on all four tires vs. two?

What size tires?

Radial tires?

Probably more to consider that we don't know?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated particularly for the exact 22 SFX w/SPS! Obviously want the best bang for the buck!

Thank You!

I can only say that Shorelandr makes a very good trailer for tritoon boats.  That is what we got with our recent new Bennington with ESP (tritoon).  Construction is much superior to our previous trailer.  The new Shorelandr trailer has surge disc brakes on tandem axles and radial tires.  Besides the outer bunks, it has a middle bunk to support the middle pontoon along with a different winch stand.  When applying the brakes you would hardly know you have another 5000+ lbs on the back.   Not saying it is the best trailer out there -- just saying it is a good solid trailer IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
sunnyside: Thanks so much for your input! We'll look that up!

tyjy let me know what you find, fellow cheese head here from Edgerton, WI.  My wife is originally from Hazel Green and you cannot get much more Southwestern in Wisconsin than that.  :)

I have a 2250 GBR that will be in this spring.  I cannot afford a trailer right now but hope to have saved up enough by the end of the summer.  I also saw some members who talked about www.trailersforpontoons.com and they seem to have a nice selection at a decent price.  The only problem is that it is an 8 hour drive to go get one and that traveling makes the deal not quite as good as it otherwise would be.

Bob

You'd want a bunk style tandem axle with the center bunks since you have the SPS hull.  If you had the Express Tube, a standard 2 toon trailer would work.

I didn't get brakes as I'm not towing very often--my boat's sitting inside a boathouse on a lift.  And I have a 3/4 ton diesel setup for towing with very large brakes.

Most bunk style trailers will have 13" tires, and it's 50/50 to whether they're ST (trailer) or P (auto) tires.  Some pontoons have the 10" E rated tires made for pontoon boats and PWC trailers--to keep the frame height low.  My trailer has 13" ST tires on galvanized mags.

You don't say where you are in Wisconsin. 

You may be not that far from Elkhart if you're in Milwaukee area--and trailersforpontoons.com. 

Check with GreatLakesSkipper.com in Racine as they sometimes have boat trailers--or might could get you one.

If you're in the northwest portion of the state, I'd refer you to T&M Marine in Grand Rapids, MN--the largest pontoon dealer in the country.  Surely they've got trailers in stock if they stock 200-500 pontoons.

You may also find a trailer on Ebay.com, EbayMotors.com and/or Boattraders.com.  They seldom come up on Craigslist.com and they're sold immediately when they're listed.

Good luck in your search.

halveb & Bamaman: Thanks so much for your input!

We live in SE WI so I'll check out these ideas. I know what you mean about Craigslist, there's plenty of "wanted" and few "for sale". Doubt we'd know what we were buying if used anyways, just because of ignorance with this whole new thing to us!

Elkhart, Indiana is 200 miles away but DH says he read there's a special going on (maybe through end of March?) with upgrades so we are scrambling trying to research this to know if a trip there is advantageous or not. Do you know from your experience hearing from others if trailersforpontoons.com is a good place to deal with and/or best quality for the buck? Or do local merchants do just as well? (I realize we have to do the leg work but appreciate any comments). We already went over budget with the boat so hoping to minimize the hit with a good deal on a trailer.

Thanks for the help!!

For anyone familiar with the www.trailersforpontoons.com website:

Been spending some time on it & unless we're mixed up can someone confirm if this is what we need for a 22 SFX Tri-toon?:

Tandem Axle Flote-On Trailer

22-24' pontoons up to 4500 lbs (we need 3000#boat+500#motor=3500 lbs)

$2695:#PT-24T/13/BR (13" tires w/brakes option) (comes with winch stand w/steps & handrail)

+ $300 adder for all four DISC BRAKES

+ $295: Tri-Tube Bunk Kit (adder) (radial tires standard on this kit as is a bigger ladder due to the center tube)

+ $85: Spare 13" tire

=$3,375 (if ordered by MARCH 15th Special: includes free radial tires on galvanized rims & free Protective Bunk Wrap

Is Protective Bunk Wrap a nicer option? better than carpet?

What do you think of the optional "Loading Guides"? ($85/4 or $45/2)

If used is it better to go all four or is two enough?

There's also an option called a "Shallow Water Kit" ($50, use shorter bunk support brackets?) Does anyone on the forum use this?

Anyone know how to find the center-to-center dimension of a 22 SFX outer tubes? (This number is needed for a Shallow Water Kit)

THANKS!

THANKS Bamaman! that probably saved me an hour of hunting! you're awesome

Is Protective Bunk Wrap a nicer option? better than carpet?

What do you think of the optional "Loading Guides"? ($85/4 or $45/2)

If used is it better to go all four or is two enough?

There's also an option called a "Shallow Water Kit" ($50, use shorter bunk support brackets?) Does anyone on the forum use this?

Anyone know how to find the center-to-center dimension of a 22 SFX outer tubes? (This number is needed for a Shallow Water Kit)

THANKS!
Any opinions about the Protective Bunk Wrap?

I'd suggest just calling Paul Myers to discuss all those options. He is literally right down the road from Bennington and has known the people there for many years. He can get whatever info you need for your boat. In my experience, they are great to deal with and worth the trip!

Also, they deliver to MANY dealers in the area. He is a wholesaler for many other products with trucks going around on deliveries throughout the spring.

I have loading guides on mine and do like them, as they do help with loading but ours are long guides on each side not just guide post, and I do not have any experience with the protective wrap, just have carpet on ours. 

I'd suggest just calling Paul Myers to discuss all those options. He is literally right down the road from Bennington and has known the people there for many years. He can get whatever info you need for your boat. In my experience, they are great to deal with and worth the trip!
Thanks Tom! Yes, we're calling this morning just to inquire about that Shallow Water Kit and/or 10" tires. Just wondering about that plastic bunk wrap & how that'd be better than carpet?? Seems like it'd make it too hard : / (maybe I don't know what I'm talking about too)

Thanks Chris : )

Thanks Tom! Yes, we're calling this morning just to inquire about that Shallow Water Kit and/or 10" tires. Just wondering about that plastic bunk wrap & how that'd be better than carpet?? Seems like it'd make it too hard : / (maybe I don't know what I'm talking about too)
No the bunk wrap allows it to slide right on and off. If he had it when I did mine I would have added that. Heck, I might still do it. Tell Paul I said "Hi!".

If someone's got shallow boat ramps or if they have a hard time getting their boat off their trailer bunks, the bunk wrap would be a good addition.

You'd have to really tie your boat to the trailer front and back as the boat would have a tendency to move on the bunks with less friction.

When I'm just towing my boat locally, I just use the winch hook.  My bunk carpet is not at all slippery, and we have great boat ramps and stable water levels. 

Crank up trailer doesn't work with a 3 toon boat. Keep looking.

I have the plastic covering on my trailer. I also had the carpet on the same trailer and the same boat basically.  I can honestly say they both suck for trying to winch the boat up those last few feet! These boats are heavy!!! Haha it does come off easy, but with the ESP, I think they both came off just as easy. They float right away. One nice improvement with the plastic is you don't have to worry about the carpet tearing if you do come in a little off and the keel catches it. Guides are great, I agree with previous post, it is much nicer to have a board connecting the two as a bit of a guide if the waters get rough.

Thank you all for the tips. We skipped the rush on the Elkhart trailer and decided to get some experience first. The dealer will put it in for us/and out and we'll be able to see HOW it's done! We are so new at this that any decision will be like flying by the seat of our pants! The Mississippi River depth changes a lot. It's expected to be pretty high in spring but there's times it's real low. The lock & dam operators/Corp of Engineers determine what to do : ) I'll post again I'm sure, but in the meantime I'll be reading how the rest of you do!

Thanks a million for all the assistance so far!!

Back