Trailer inside tube guides ???

Hoss

Reaction score
I am purchasing a 2075gl and a bunk trailer and see the trailer guides that go inside the tubes on the trailer to help in high winds . Have heard alot of bad things about them like bending tubes and hurting them. Any opinions bad or good or any pictures of what have worked for you . Or do I need them at all the ones they want to sell me are boards with carpet on them... Thanks Hoss

I really can't imagine when pulling a pontoon up to the trailer that you would have enough force to bend or hurt the toons? I have the inside bunks and have had a issue.

Todd

I have inside guides on mine, carpet on wood mounted on brackets. Previous owner has put small pressed in places on the tubes. They did not show up real bad until I polished them but most people would not notice them as they are at least two feet back and about in the center of the tube(top to bottom). Two or three places about 1 1/2" by 12" long.

I think on a windy day and not hitting the trailer straight and trying to lever it on did it. I feel pros outweigh cons, just be careful loading. Steve

I added them to my trailer, mostly to help guide a rookie tooner on the trailer. :p I have felt them bump a couple of times, but don't see any damage. I think you would have to hit them pretty hard to dent a toon. I also like that they stick up out of the water giving me an easy to see target to steer towards.

When your tubes are seated properly on the trailer, how much space is between the tube and guides? The dealer had them all set and on there, but I never really knew if they were right? They are just a 'tool' to kinda help in rough/windy water correct?

When I purchased my trailer I thought I set them correctly. Boat was in the water at the marina, I was taking it out for storm precaution. I has set them to close and the boat stopped dead. The toon side deformed, but as I backed out it flexed backed to shape. I for one can see how it would be possible to dent or deform a toon if you came at a very bad angle or they were set to close. Mine are now set correctly, I have about 2 inches of space between the guide and toon. To much space and the boat my twist away, not enough and you can dent the toon. If I had my choice I would rather have a roller style or plastic tube type guide. I only use the trailer for put in & take out once a year so for me I'll deal with the inside toon wooden block carpeted guides which are about mid way up the trailer.....but they are not the ideal choice. The PVC guides that are installed at the very start of the trailer and guide the outside of the boat would be my preference.

Be very careful that the trailer is not backed so far into the water that the rear guides end up BELOW the toons under water if the boat drifts to far away from center. This happen to me once and I did not realize it... I told the driver of the tow vehicle to go a head and pull out even though I knew I was off center because I figured the rear guides would line up the back close enough to slide into place but since the guides were UNDER the toons when they came up they tried to lift the whole boat UP. Thankfully they were not perfectly centered and the boat did FALL back into place, but not without breaking the wood on one of the guides and leaving some not so nice scratches / dents on my inside lifting strakes.....

Back