Trailering Cover

Padre

Reaction score
Hi all, just signed on a 22SFFX. We will be using it up in Canada, and that is 10 hours away. I have been reading that you should not trailer with the playpen cover on, so in light of that, is there a trailering cover made for the Bennigtons? Thanks!

As far as I know, they don't make a trailering cover. Most say not to trailer with a cover because at highway speed they don't last long. It would also be dangerous if it came off and blinded another driver. My $.02

You could probably buy a "trailering" cover, but you risk paint damage from flapping and such. You'd have to make sure its a proper fit.

I would not use a "universal" cover, well maybe if it was high quality with good reviews.

The playpen cover is definitely not for trailering. Maybe TB can chime in with a recomendation.

From personal experience of towing 10 hours up to Canada for 12 years with a pontoon, I have always used the playpen cover. Always make sure it is as tight as possible. If it flaps it will tear itself apart. Towing with it might void the warranty.

I have also towed without a cover on the boat. I do not recommend. It feels like instead of towing a brick you are towing a parachute.

When our cover wore out last year, I replaced it with a tow-able cover built for the boat. It was expensive (+$1,000) but it is beautifully built and should last for the duration of the boat. It is heavy enough that we had a zipper installed to split the cover into two pieces for loading and installing. Keep in mind, that the playpen cover you have is not waterproof at highway speeds in the rain. Found that out the 2nd year of towing to Canada. Our new cover attaches under the decking and does waterproof the boat when stored and towed.

This was copied from older thread .... From Bennington :

HAULING WITH CANVAS:

If you are hauling your Bennington, be sure the bimini top is locked in the radar position or trailering-strut position with the boot securely in place. Be sure the playpen cover is securely fastened with all snaps in place to avoid wind whip. Use common sense when hauling! The playpen cover fabric is durable enough for towing, but if you are planning a long-distance trip at 60 mph, you should consider shrink-wrap. Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information.

Thank you all for your help. I guess shrink-wrap or Bruce &Jill's idea of getting one custom is the way to go. Thank you!!

I have used a universal-fit towable cover that fit poorly. It did beat up my boat with it's constant flapping, and then it ripped, which added to the flapping. Now I tow uncovered, but really don't think it's the best way to go. I have recently contacted a local canvas guy about a custom towing cover. I will be having it made from a soft-backed fabric so as not to damage the varnished surfaces.

From personal experience of towing 10 hours up to Canada for 12 years with a pontoon, I have always used the playpen cover. Always make sure it is as tight as possible. If it flaps it will tear itself apart. Towing with it might void the warranty.

I have also towed without a cover on the boat. I do not recommend. It feels like instead of towing a brick you are towing a parachute.

When our cover wore out last year, I replaced it with a tow-able cover built for the boat. It was expensive (+$1,000) but it is beautifully built and should last for the duration of the boat. It is heavy enough that we had a zipper installed to split the cover into two pieces for loading and installing. Keep in mind, that the playpen cover you have is not waterproof at highway speeds in the rain. Found that out the 2nd year of towing to Canada. Our new cover attaches under the decking and does waterproof the boat when stored and towed.
Where did you get your cover?

I love this Forum!!!! A plethora of information!

It was built for the boat at the Sailor Tailor in Bellbrook OH. It is custom built for the boat. There are two rows of snap on the cover. The first row snaps on the middle rail and the rest of the cover hangs down below the deck. Makes it somewhat easy to attach the cover while on the water. The second row of snaps attached under the decking. While on the trailer we snap those also and there is a draw string at the bottom edge that you tighten to lock down the cover. It keeps everything dry even when towing in the rain. There was a lady in CA that was going to have a cover similar to mine made last year. I never heard if she had it built and if so how it turned out. If you search you might find the thread.

Sure would be nice if Bennington made a trailering cover. At least we know it would fit. We had one made locally for our last boat and were not to happy when put in extra holes when the snaps didn't line up with the canvas. Now we are a little gun shy.

I was wondering about that too. Hey Bruce, you have any pics of your trailering cover?

Back