Trailering Cover

bighawkeye

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a suitable cover that can be used to trailer the toon long distances? Or is the factory cover okay?

Were I to wish to trailer my boat for a very long distance, and do so at highway speed, I would first put on the playpen cover, then cover the entire boat with a heavy canvas tarp, making sure to tuck under at the front. You can get the tarps at one of the big box hardware stores.

As an alternative, I could have my local marina "blue-top" it for me. That's the shrink wrap plastic they use for storage. Tough stuff.

That's just me. I know that lost of folks trailer with their factory playpen covers.

Be advised though...

If you have the kind of playpen cover that attaches to the front of the DECK, it's going to be pretty good at keeping wind out of the interior of the boat.

If you have the kind that attached to the fencing, even at the front... Well I just don't know. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I honestly couldn't tell you.

THAT'S why I like a supplemental cover, to absorb the abuse.

I have the cover that attaches to the deck and so far I have trailered it twice 100 miles each time. It does tend to billow up at highway speeds which concerns me. I have a longer trip planned next month and I may just leave it off.

Being new to pontoons, I have asked other toon owners about useing the cover for travel. The majority response was not too, the cover is intended for storage, not travel. There are too many places for wind to come under the cover and make it billow, putting to much strain on the snaps. Ericsher has a good suggestion, putting an additional cover over the storage cover. There are trailerable covers out there, and if you look at them, they have straps that go over the top and attatch to the lowest rail, covering the whole boat. Most folks i've spoken to about this travel with no cover, and some leave the front gate open to cut down on wind resistence. The drawback to that is all the bugs you have to clean off!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not had any problems using the factory playpen cover when trailering. All my trips involve trailering; the shortest trip is 17 miles one-way and longest so far is 93 miles one-way. My cover snaps to the deck in the front. Have not had any significant billowing or flapping other than the front bimini boot cover which I now wrap in straps and tie the whole structure down with ropes.

Having read other forums about this issue for the last year, my conclusion is that about half the people do use their covers when trailering and the other half say they do not :blink: and both sides seem to think their method is best!

So now I use the cover on the trip to the lakes and usually leave it off on the way home - mainly to let the carpet/furniture dry out (and I am usually too tired and hot to mess with it). Only problem then is cleaning the bug guts off the furniture.

Think if I was going to go on a really long trip or overnighter, I would do what "ericscher" suggests and cover the whole thing with a big tarp strapped down.

Thank you for the information. I have recently found an aftermarket cover designed for Bennington boats that straps completely around the toons and then is secured to the trailer.

quote name='ericscher' timestamp='1310562388' post='2511']

Were I to wish to trailer my boat for a very long distance, and do so at highway speed, I would first put on the playpen cover, then cover the entire boat with a heavy canvas tarp, making sure to tuck under at the front. You can get the tarps at one of the big box hardware stores.

As an alternative, I could have my local marina "blue-top" it for me. That's the shrink wrap plastic they use for storage. Tough stuff.

That's just me. I know that lost of folks trailer with their factory playpen covers.

Be advised though...

If you have the kind of playpen cover that attaches to the front of the DECK, it's going to be pretty good at keeping wind out of the interior of the boat.

If you have the kind that attached to the fencing, even at the front... Well I just don't know. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. I honestly couldn't tell you.

THAT'S why I like a supplemental cover, to absorb the abuse.

Back