Trailers and triple toons

JimmyC

Reaction score
I recently purchased my triple toon and have been wondering how many people have triple toons with trailers that just support the outside pontoons.

I've seen trailers set up with bunks that support all three pontoons and I've seen triple toons set up like mine with trailers that only support the two outside toons. 

Is there any concern with triple toons with only the outside bunks and support or is this a common practice? 

I typically don't tow very far on a weekly basis but I my take a couple of road trips to some other lakes several hours away. I don't have a boat slip or dock so I also leave the boat parked on the trailer when it's not being used. 

Has anyone added the support for the center pontoon after the purchase?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased as tri-toon on trailer.

The middle to on support was app 125.00 more.

Many trailer have the ability for the middle support.

Look up your trailer make on the net...should find your answer tnere. ....and for the sake of 125.00 it's a "no brainer"

I had a brand new tripple bunk trailer waiting for me when I purchased my tritoon.

Jimmy, do a search. This has been discussed here several times. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys. I was really concerned with whether or not Bennington recommended them and if they did why the dealer would sell a tri toon without the center support. If it's not necessary then I would still consider adding it after the fact.

Thanks for the recommendations Bull. I'll be sure to look at the trailer manufacturer.

Goldnrod I did the search prior to the post but couldn't get a clear answer so decided to ask the question again. Thanks for the help though.

The short answer is Bennington engineers them so 2 sets of bunks will adequately support it via the 2 toons. For just a few more dollars, I feel better having the center tube supported even if it's technically overkill.

So with that being said. I should not worry about storing my boat on a two toon lift for a few weeks?

No worries

Two supports is fine for the Express Tube, as the weight of the motor is on the engine pod that will never touch any middle supporting bunk.

On the SPS and the ESP, you should look into getting a middle pair of bunk supports--due to the weight of the engine on the toons.  Had you just been moving the boat  short distances or into/out of storage in Spring and Fall, it wouldn't be an issue.  But if you're going to be going around to different lakes, you want the best trailer possible.

I agree with Bama, with that much motor and ESP, I would DEFINITELY support the center tube. Heck I was mad that my last trailer didn't have an extension on the center bunk because it left almost a couple feet under the motor not supported. I was told by the trailer rep that from then on any of that trailer ordered for an ESP configuration must have the extended center supports. Also not sure if you have the center tube fuel tank, but I assume you do, that is a lot of weight and not supporting seems like you are just begging for something to go wrong. Spend the money and get a trailer(set up your trailer) that properly supports the HUGE investment you have sitting on top of it. Just my opinion. 

Edit (because I'm a moron) sorry Jimmy! I somehow saw Toms description and thought it was yours!! Haha. Regardless, I would still support your center tube. That's the short version. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit (because I'm a moron) sorry Jimmy! I somehow saw Toms description and thought it was yours!! Haha. Regardless, I would still support your center tube. That's the short version. Haha
Ha ha, and of course I DO have the center tube supports with an additional bulkhead extension for the engine/transom as well. No way I'd do it without, even though they say you can ;-) 

I would support the center toon. that's a lot of weight hanging in midair and bouncing up and down during tow. Something to keep in mind, you may have a warranty issues not supporting the center toon. I have an ESP with a 50 gallon fuel cell and storage in the center toon. so the center bunk on the trailer and the lift was a no brainer for me. Good luck

Thanks guys! I'll definitely be looking at adding the supports for the center pontoon. It shouldn't be too hard to add it. I do have the SPS with fuel cell in the center tube as well, so yes that is a lot of extra weight. I'll also be adding some pontoon guides as well!

I'm not really worried about warranty work. Everything I have seen and read from Bennington states that the center support isn't necessary and especially buying this boat new and the dealer providing me with this trailer I'm not sure there would be any way they would be able to stick me with the bill on any warranty repair due to not having the center support (knock on wood!)

Back