Transom Saver?

Chris H

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and Bennington family. My dealership told me I don't need to use a transom saver while trailering, but we have always used them on our cabin cruisers and fishing boats. Planning to trailer the new boat from Dallas to Lake Livingston (3.5 hour drive) for the 4th. Based on your learnings would you use a transom saver? Some people say the saver causes more damage than it helps prevent...I have no idea what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely use one unless you are able to trailer with the motor trimmed all the way down. Not sure what your dealer is thinking but that's what the engine manufacturers recommend.

Most pontoons with bunk style trailers can run with the engine completely down without danger of grinding the lower unit. You'll just have to judge they way your boat sits on the trailer.

But if you want to run with a transom saver, have at it. They're not an expensive addition to your boat.

I use 2 MY-wedge transom savers. I'm not sure it helps but I sleep a little better at night.

I was told the same thing by the dealer I purchased my boat from in Mn. 400 mile trip home without one and the transom welds cracked. I have some pictures of the cracks but can't upload them here to show you the damage. If you like to see them, PM me. Its nasty. I use a Attwood Heavy Duty, I bought from West Marine.

Off Call. I tried the MY Wedges on old E-tec, they fell out on the highway somewhere between Iowa and Missouri. Do yours fit tight?

EZ, they fit very tight!! I actually had to cut mine because they were a little long!

Back