Travel Trailers- Educate me please!

lakeliving

Reaction score
My wife have been kicking around the idea of eventually getting a travel trailer. Something that we can stay in when going up to her families cabin, going to visit friends/family when staying overnight. We stopped and looked at a few yesterday but I have no idea what to look for. My wife really liked the Apex 276BHSS and it looks to be built with aluminum framed walls but I don't know how the rest is built. I would think wood framing would not hold up. I know some of you have RV's on here and would love to know what your thoughts/experience is. I have a benny so I don't mind paying a little more for quality. I tried to look on line for ratings and people are all over the place. Airstream keeps coming up but the prices are crazy, and my wife doesn't like that look.

Thanks

I love me some Airstream!

Not into the RV/camping scene, but if I was, it would be silver all the way! Sharkhided all the way! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHAHA...Oh the can of worms you just opened up, lol.  There is no right and wrong answer for this.  There are so many things to look for that I'm not sure it can be surmised here.  Please feel free to call as a phone conversation would be much easier.  Here's a few things to think about in the mean time.

• Decide on what is important as far as amenities.
  • Be prepared to buy another one in the future if you enjoy.  The only TT that will last is an Air Stream but there are expensive and outdated.  We drive by the facility on the way to the lake.
  • Do you want a TT or 5th wheel?  We wanted to be able to put the motorcycle in the back of the dually and be able to pull TT at the same time.  So that ruled out a 5th wheel.  We now want the extra room so it looks like a 5th wheel is in the future.
  • Do you want slides? The answer should be yes.
  • How big?  Longer campers have pros and cons.  You run out of room very quickly with more than two people in shorter campers.  Even in our 34 footer is gets crowded sometimes.
  • Stay away from hybrids.  Its and PIA to have to make up and tear down.
  • What size bed?
  • Bed in front or back?  Yes it really does matter.
  • Kitchen setup?  Pros and cons to that as well.
  • Can I get in it while towing.  Meaning, if I pull off the road or stop at a rest area can I get in it.  Might want in to fridge or potty or whatever.  A lot of the newer campers have islands in them. You cant move thru them with slides in or open a door possibly.
  • Is shower in bathroom big enough?
  • Placement of head?  Some are starting to come with elongated bowl.  This is a +++++, trust me! 

There are so many more general basics.  Send me back a message if you would like my # to call.

Thanks Marlon. For starters We're not looking at anything too big and we really liked the layout of the one I mentioned above (which has an island). I want a master that is able to be closed off to the rest of the space. I did find that my 6'5 frame will make any TT shower a tight fit! I saw a jayco assembly video and the speed at which they worked made me nervous of the quality. They were literally running around. I guess I need a rv'ing for dummies book. Haven't though about a fifth wheel as I don't want to overload the truck. Currently have a 14 Silverado with a 5.3 and 3.42 rear end. According to the owners manual I'm good for 9600lbs.

Are they all built the same? If so does it come down to what colors and layout you like better?

MH663 hit on good points. We bought our first camper in 2003. Just like with the boat, we wanted to make sure we would enjoy before purchasing something too big so we bought the 26' TT. We had a 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. Needless to say, the tail wagged the dog on that. Shortly afterward, we purchased the Super Duty. Shortly after that, we purchased a new 33' 5th wheel with two slides and king size bed, fireplace, rear living area, front bedroom, middle kitchen. since we found out that we loved camping/RVing. 

As far as carrying other toys with us, I've pulled our 33' with the Jeep Wrangler behind it. I've also pulled a 10' utility trailer behind it with the golf cart, This is something that you can do in some states; not all. (double tow or triple two as some call it). 

Lot's to think about, but I didn't need to repeat what MH663 stated. You have to figure out how you'll be using it. Good luck.

Haven't though about a fifth wheel as I don't want to overload the truck. Currently have a 14 Silverado with a 5.3 and 3.42 rear end. According to the owners manual I'm good for 9600lbs.

There is a lot that goes into the calculation of that 9600# number. From what I have read, you don't want to go anywhere near that number with a 1500/5.3/4.42 combo.

But TT guys are as opinionated as Bennington guys, so who knows if it's fly poop or pepper.

@lakeliving all TT are not created equal.  I really like the Forest River Brand but I think it also depends on the price point.  Lower price point will have cheaper material and build.  More money gets you better quality and better build.  You will find a shower that fits but they will be few and far between.  With your build and assuming you don't weight 180 pounds, you will be looking for sturdy. I am of the opinion that sometimes, not always, you have to spend more money for a better product and there's just no way around it.  The Air Streams are great.  Will last forever but have limits.  They do make them with slides, but only one, and its a small slide at that.  We are on camper #5 and the next will be a 5th wheel or diesel pusher motor home.  Two great tips for you.  Buy now or in the fall.  Believe it or not...the dealers will be getting their 2017's in soon so 2016 will be marked down.  In the fall, they know they will be more than likely sitting on leftovers for the winter so they try to get rid of them before the snow hits.  If you have the $$$ and the vehicle to tow a 5th wheel would be nice although a well thought out TT will do you as well.  Just might be a little small with your assumed build.  My favs are the Heartland 365, Big Horn, Big Country.  We also like the Redwood RV.  Those are 5th wheels.

Our current TT is a Rockwood Signature but we do love their 5th wheel as well.

There is no substitute for tow vehicle.  We have a one ton dually diesel with an H&S programmable on the fly tuner.  Takes the 350 hp / 500 lb torque 6 cyl. and runs it up a bit :).  No offense but towing anything of weight with a 1/2 ton is not in my blood.  Excessive wear and tear on every component!  You're just asking for it.

Hey Andy

I think most of the camping shows are done now. Those really have the best variety to look at at once. 

In my opinion I would try to stay away from wood frame, they are fine if you keep up with the maintenance, and the aluminum siding is not bad but does dent easy and you always get black streaks down the sides, again if you do your maintenance your ok. 

If you can try to go with the layout that best meets you needs and fiberglass siding and aluminum framing. I just puchased a new one this year after owning my last one for 16 years. That one was wood frame and aluminum siding. My new one is fiberglass siding and aluminum. I went with a newer company on the market Grand Design. Quality is very good. 

http://www.granddesignrv.com

Good luck with your search, 

Not looking at a 5th wheel for a starter trailer but I do see the benefits and it seems the big rv'ers eventually get one. Plus with the 3 of us and one dog we don't need a lot of space so a 20 something foot TT seems like a good fit for us. Yesterday was the first time my wife has stepped foot in an RV so there will be a transition period to get her fully on board. Plus living in MI we want to be on the water when the weather is nice. If we do moved south it would be used a lot more as we could use it year round. I was shocked they seem to have 1 year warranties too.

They also have light weight travel trailers.

Coming from a hybrid owner, they do require more set up work.  Its a 21' w/ full slide so it becomes roomy for the three of us.  I am ready to sell it and do the cabin/lodge/marina/b&b thing. The wife still enjoys it, I do too but wouldnt miss it.  3:42 with a six or is it eight speed tranny probably would pull decent.  As far as i'm concerned all tt are built in a mass production facility, getting units out the door is all there is and it shows.  Own one and start looking into them and youll see.  I've seen the video you speak of and it fits, I have a Rockwood which is a Forest River brand, not much to brag about.  We bought ours used, came with everything needed.

Thanks mattb. That is what I was curious about, are they all just slapped together regardless of brand and it comes down to a layout/color choice. I'll make sacrifices in the finishes if the bones are better. An all aluminum frame would be nice too. I hate seeing rust. Some of them yesterday I saw brand new on the lot had rust spots showing on the frames.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I definitely need to do some more research and see what's out there. We've been watching a lot of that "going rv" show and it got the wheels spinning. I like the solar panel idea too so you can go off the grid and camp anywhere. That would probably be on the list as a must have as well. Unless you can't add those to a TT roof.

We are on our second camper. The first was a small trailer (bumper pull) our current is a 5th wheel. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

This is a great site/forum. TONS of info. Great people much like here. Ask a question and you'll get plenty of answers.

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Quality is all over the place. Plenty of low, mid and high-end units to pick from.

We have a Keystone Springdale. This is not on par with our Benny, but we don't use it near as much as our Benny.

I am not aware of any camper today that use wood studs. Too heavy. Everything is aluminum.

The biggest thing to consider, is what can your tow vehicle tow.

Happy to answer any questions I can. Almost as fun as buying a boat...

Brian

Truck might not handle that beast Dave!!

Thanks Brian. I'll check that forum out.

My thoughts on the APEX. Our first was a Coachmen. We liked it didn't have any problems with it.

The opposing slides on this model give you lots of room. The couch next to the dining table make seating/conversation interesting.

The placement of the TV might make it hard to watch. Now when we camp, inevitably we end up with a day of bad weather and end up in the camper playing games and watching movies. So I disagree who say TVs/DVDs aren't important in a camper.

The bunkhouse is nice. As I recall you have kids.

I have not been a fan of the outside kitchen. We cook mostly on the camp grill. I would rather have that space as storage.

The best advice I can give you is look at many different makes/models. Don't rush. Just like buying your boat.

Brian

Back