trim gauge issue

natscreek

Reaction score
Hello, 2009 2575rli with yamaha 225  out for the 1st trip of the year,and have an issue with the trim gauge. Last year it didn't really work but the needle at least stayed in one position.This time it looks like a windshield wiper,back and forth the entire time like it does when you 1st turn the key on, a little annoying like a check engine light that won't go away. I talked to a yamaha guy last season and he said they haven't had good success with a fix that last over a season.....bad design I guess. This wasn't a big deal to me ,because having had outboards before I'm pretty atuned the the sound while trimming,but the constant needle moving is irritating.Wonder if anyone has had this issue,and if I can disable the trim gauge either at the motor or the dash. Or maybe a maybe a fix that last.  Thanks for any info that may help.

If you don't care about it, unhook wire from the gauge. Easy peazy ....

not so easy peazy,it's a multi-function cluster gauge with a multi wire connector,and I've had no luck getting a wiring diagram from bennington,although I would rather not cut to disable. My wifey says do what she did years ago to a car with the check engine light, PUT A PIECE OF TAPE OVER IT AND CHILL !!  LOL  got to luv it,and you know what they say       HAPPY WIFE , HAPPY LIFE    Thanks for the suggestion

I've got the other brand so I have no other suggestion beyond "googling it". I'm always surprised at what I can find on the www. Good luck!

The 1st thing I did was search the web. I've fixed a lot of things by google and youtube. I got a lot of info on fixing and replacing the unit on the engine,but I was hoping to find someone here with a Bennington that had the sweeping gauge issue.This forum is always so helpfull. I would take it to be repaired,but it's on my lift , and I don't want to pull it and haul it an hour just for that,so Thanks for the response.

The 1st thing I did was search the web. I've fixed a lot of things by google and youtube. I got a lot of info on fixing and replacing the unit on the engine,but I was hoping to find someone here with a Bennington that had the sweeping gauge issue.This forum is always so helpfull. I would take it to be repaired,but it's on my lift , and I don't want to pull it and haul it an hour just for that,so Thanks for the response.

Well, you're ahead of me because sometimes it doesn't occur to me right off the bat to check the web. Hopefully someone with a similar issue will pipe in...

I've got a '14 Yamaha 150 4 stroke and my gauge was working intermittently.   I was able to adjust the sensor on the front of the engine mount to get it working.   So I just loosened the sensor and moved it slightly while having someone watch the gauge.  I t didn't take much movement as it was very touchy.  Now it works fine most of the time, but every once in a while it doesn't work at all.  When it doesn't work, I turn the key on and off and it comes back.  Weird issue but it is what it is for  mine at the moment.

Yeah, I worked on mine this weekend,and did get it to move with the help of pb blaster,but not enough for it to start working. It did stop the windshield wiping motion, and the indicator stays in the down position,which is fine for me.It's on my lift,so not too easy to work on......maybe next winter,but      maybe not. I've found that there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to trim,as we seem to always have a crowd on the party barge!!  I also have a 4 blade stainless prop on it that I may change to a 3 . With the 4 blade she jumps quick but it creates other issues.Looks like a tsunami behind us.  We don't pull skis,so don't need that    just a bunch of seniors enjoying adult beverages.      Wish I got a pontoon long ago!!!    What a blast!!!     thanks for your insight

Back