Trim gauge

It depends on speed, load on the boat and distribution of the load, that it really varies all over the gauge. I just play with the trim to get the highest RPM and speed reading at a given throttle setting. You will find that unless you go to extremes, that trim is not as critical on a pontoon as on another type of boat.

This is probably a question for my dealer, and I only have a 9.9 Yamaha on mine, but my trim gauge always shows full up.

I assume it isn't hooked up, or can't be used with the 9.9's trim.

In fact I think the trim on the 9.9  really just tilts it up for shallow water or when docking/beached.

Any input?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always take off trimmed all the way down. Once underway adjust accordingly, for me full throttle/speed put the trim gauge just above half way or at the middle line. a lot of the time I just trim down in between full down and half for the no wake zones/channels

With different engines comes different trim gauges. My Merc gauge shows "0" when I'm trimmed all the way down. However, as I noted in another post, my engine moves quite a distance before getting to "1". In fact, I can't even take off when I'm at the upper end of "0". 

We usually run around a quarter trim as we have very shallow water. Helps to plane faster too.

Back