Trim

Cocky Cruiser

Reaction score
Hey everybody, first day lake went well, no problem backing down launch, launch went good, took 3 tries getting back on trailer at end of day, other than that, a good day.the previous owner is sending me the owners manual for boat and motor, so have a quick question. Is it ok to trim the motor while running on the water? I thought I read somewhere on Yamaha that it can cause overheating. Do I need to stop and trim. Sorry if this is dumb question but no manuals yet. This site is awesome.

You can trim your motor whenever you want. I think what you read is not to trim the water intakes on the lower unit out of the water. If you're ever in the Lake Norman area, I can show you what you don't know.

Trim is used under way to bring the bow up and down depending on several factors. With the trim all the way down the boat is basically plowing through the water, give it a little trim up and it brings the bow up out of the water. You just need to learn how much you need . I'm sure someone else can explain better than me. Good luck and enjoy the new boat!

When you are at cruising speed start to trim up, watch your rpm's and speed.  If either of them start dropping, you are trimmed too much.  Don't go over your max rpm's either, not sure what your engine OEM suggests.  You are also trimmed too much if your engine overheats do to the cooling water intakes being too high up and not getting proper water flow, you should get a temp alarm for this though.  If you are trimmed up and are going to take a sharp corner, you might want to trim down some to keep your prop from blowing out, you will find out what that is :)   It just takes some getting use to on where to trim.  Trimming properly can make for a much better ride, you don't want to plow through the water with trim down all day long. 

Back