Tritoon SPS

Mike Bartell

Reaction score
What is the underdeck waive shield that comes with SPS? Is it a full underdeck liner or just a partial shield near the front of the toons?

Also, SPS comes with SeaStar hydraulic steering. I'm not familiar with this. Is that something similar to power steering or just an assist due to the added drag with 3 toons?

Thanks.

The underdeck wave shield doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat. Hydraulic steering is NOT power steering, it is not easier than cable steering but eliminates torque steer on larger outboards. I prefer power assisted steering.

The wave shield can be ordered to the bow so that all bottom is covered. You just have to add "Wave Tamer to The Bow" when making selections. I have it on mine because of the high HP motor and rough conditions at times.IMG_0689.JPG

From the first cross member on mine back is covered with aluminum. So the first section I can see wood but the water doesn't spray up there

Hydraulic steering is easier then cable for sure, but it's not power steering.

The wave shield is a part of the "rough water package/Lake of the Ozarks Edition" that we experience here at LOTO on busy weekends. Definitely provides a smoother and quieter ride on rough seas!

Of all of the features that I see bantered on across the board here, the only thing that is repeatedly addressed while we are out on the water:
“Wow, your double Bimini is awesome!”
Having an R23SB, I have nearly all the features, but nobody ever asks about my power steering or wave shield.
Reminds me of the old Dodge commercials with comedian Jon Reep,
“Hey, that thing gotta HEMI?”
When you’re on the water in a Benny, people take notice.

Having an R23SB, I have nearly all the features, but nobody ever asks about my power steering or wave shield.

Would you want your boat to not have the power assisted steering or wave shield? Some excellent options are not seen. IMHO

IMO, it's way more important to spend your budget on power steering. You will use it and benefit from it 100% of the time you drive the boat.
Hydraulic steering on a boat is like a car without power steering. Add bigger HP and it's like trying to park a 4 wheel drive truck without power steering. Drive both and it will convince you in seconds.

Hydraulic steering on a boat is like a car without power steering. Add bigger HP and it's like trying to park a 4 wheel drive truck without power steering. Drive both and it will convince you in seconds.

I can't imagine not having hydraulic steering with a 150 HP. If we had any more power, I'd probably spring for power assist.

Our underdeck wave shield doesn't go all the way to the bow, but that is not such much an issue on our lake. The few times the decking has gotten wet, it's mostly dry before we dock.

Back