Trolling Motor Battery recommendation

pickngrass

Reaction score
Just purchased a Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/ iPilot for our 2017 20' SSRXP tritoon.  Need some suggestions on marine deep cycle batteries for operating this trolling motor.  Which would be best to pair with my setup at a reasonable cost of about $375 or less for the two?  Also what kind of performance should I expect or not?  We are new to the party as this is our first pontoon and trolling motor.  We plan to use it for fishing (bass, crappie and whatever) mostly inland lakes/rivers. 

Thanks for any advice or input!

Experience is what you get by not having it when you need it.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p/interstate-batteries/interstate-batteries-srm-29-srm-29?dsNav=N~2147384903

Some of these other guys may be able to give you a heads up on the other types of batteries, but this is what I have. I have fished for about 6hrs straight with my 55# minn kota and it never seemed to lose any power. Main thing to remember is to fully charge it after each use and if you are not going to use it for a month or so you may want to buy a trickle charger to keep it topped off. This will give you maximum life out of your battery.

Don't have a trolling motor, but if they work for my stereo, I guarantee they can handle it!! Hehe I use Northstar Thin Plate Pure Lead batteries. They aren't cheap, but they can discharge lower than any other type of battery without negative effects. Odyssey are along the same lines. Probably overkill for just a trolling motor, but that's how I do things. 

I can't help you with your question on the batteries. But welcome to the forum. And I like your saying on experience.It's so true!

Congratulations on your new Benny! Please share some pictures with us!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your suggestions and comments.  I ended up getting two Optima batteries and D27M.  This weekend I installed the quick release bracket, battery trays, heading sensor and trolling motor receptacle.  I ordered the connect-ease.com quick connects for a 24V system to hook up the batteries hopefully they will arrive this week then I am good to go.  Will share some pictures when I get it on the water in a couple of weeks. 

Take care and Thanks again!

Experience is what you get by not having it when you need it.

Looking forward to the photos and your report.

Back