Trolling Motor Help Needed

DanielG

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've searched and read the forum and can't quite find the info I need so here goes.
During the whole Pandemic my college age son and I have started fishing around our dock to pass the time and enjoy it. We'd like to venture out a bit so I tried going on our Benny 22SSRX a couple times but the wind/boat waves makes it hard to stay put and no drift. Then when I have to crank the Yamaha 150 to move us back in place it scares off the fish.
Our boat is mainly for pleasure and so I really don't want to drill holes in my deck like I see a lot folks doing. I just want something quick to put on for when we're going fishing and quick to remove once we get back to the dock.
So I have a few questions:
-Is there a quick clamp on type of trolling motor that anyone could recommend and how does it mount?
-Where would it be best to mount to avoid drilling any holes?
-Will I have to haul around a special battery for the trolling motor or since I have 2 batteries on board, can I connect the trolling motor direct to the existing battery terminals?
-I also notice some trolling motors say 24v. Is it possible to connect them to my 2 existing batteries or again does that require a separate dedicated battery?

I know, lot's of questions and I apologize. Just want to spend as much time with my son as I can while I got him.
Thanks in advance.

So, for question 1, I'm not sure about a clamp on trolling motor. I haven't seen one personally that will work for that large of a boat. However, they do make a trolling motor quick disconnect plate so that you can remove it when you aren't fishing. You would have to drill holes in your deck for that though.
2, Most of the time you would use a separate battery for your trolling motor so that you don't drain the battery that is for your engine and accessories. If you already have 2 batteries, they are likely in a parallel circuit so that you are still running 12V but have a much larger capacity to run things like your radio etc. for longer periods of time. The trolling motors that require 24V have the batteries in a series circuit so that they have enough power to run the stronger trolling motors. (They require more current that's why they are in series.)
Hope that helps a little. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is what I did recently when adding one to mine. No holes to the deck and only three to the under side. So far it is working great!

These are big heavy boats that can be greatly affected by current and wind. If you’re going to want to fight the elements make sure you do your research and avoid paying twice. A 24v 80lb thrust motor might be fine in moderate conditions, but you start upping the current and wind and a 36v 112lb might be more appropriate. Also know your shaft length (insert joke here) if you want to position and hold on a spot in 2-4 footers you may need a 60” shaft to keep the prop in the water at all times.

As far as batteries go, you likely have one cranking for the motor and one deep cycle or dual purpose for the house. If you go 24v do not use your cranking or you could 1) permanently damage the cranking battery from draining it too low and 2) strand yourself. Isolate your TM from anything critical and use the right battery.

You sound like you could be in over your head so please please read a ton and do your research. Plenty of info out there but there are many variables to understand before diving in, and this forum won’t be able to answer it all.

Good luck!

Potomacbassin’ your words are ringing true. I'm thinking a paddle and an anchor might be best. lol
Seriously, I might be better off just springing for a used jon boat and putting a small trolling motor on it.
Thanks for the input guys.

I’m super happy with my setup. I’ve been able to get the boat in better spots and have caught fish I otherwise would not have been able to.

Hey guys, so I've searched and read the forum and can't quite find the info I need so here goes.
During the whole Pandemic my college age son and I have started fishing around our dock to pass the time and enjoy it. We'd like to venture out a bit so I tried going on our Benny 22SSRX a couple times but the wind/boat waves makes it hard to stay put and no drift. Then when I have to crank the Yamaha 150 to move us back in place it scares off the fish.
Our boat is mainly for pleasure and so I really don't want to drill holes in my deck like I see a lot folks doing. I just want something quick to put on for when we're going fishing and quick to remove once we get back to the dock.
So I have a few questions:
-Is there a quick clamp on type of trolling motor that anyone could recommend and how does it mount?
-Where would it be best to mount to avoid drilling any holes?
-Will I have to haul around a special battery for the trolling motor or since I have 2 batteries on board, can I connect the trolling motor direct to the existing battery terminals?
-I also notice some trolling motors say 24v. Is it possible to connect them to my 2 existing batteries or again does that require a separate dedicated battery?

I know, lot's of questions and I apologize. Just want to spend as much time with my son as I can while I got him.
Thanks in advance.
I went through the same agonies that you went through! My wife was my trolling motor as she would engage the throttle to move the boat forward and aft. That's hard on the motor and burn a lot of gas. I did 6 months of research to find a way to put a trolling motor on my 2275GS with out cutting through the front gate. Well I finally found the answer! Now I'm telling you that there are no short cuts to doing this but I like to fish and wanted it done right. Due to the weight of my pontoon, it started with an 80lb. thrust, 60 inch shaft MinnKota. I found a great company in Wisconsin called ToonTroll. It is a way to mount a trolling motor on a bracket (Aircraft strength aluminum) horizontally on the front deck extending over the water. It's hard to explain but go to Facebook and look up TOON TROLL and you'll see what I mean. It's fantastic and when I don't fish the trolling motor slides out, unplug it and store somewhere else than on the boat.2020-03-27_15-12-26_102.jpeg2020-03-27_15-12-26_102.jpeg2020-03-27_15-12-26_102.jpeg

I’m in the process of figuring out my mount options as well. One consideration of mine (and maybe yours) is how to deal with the inevitable bow-stuffage. With mounts that project out from the edge of the deck I see potential damage to both the mount and the deck if the through-bolts get torqued hard enough. Probably not a concern for 99% of you, but I will be running hard through 2-3 footers with some sizable ships around so I need to plan for a worst case scenario. And yes the rest of the boat is going to get torn up too but I want to minimize the exposure as much as possible. Was going to buy a 24’ Yellowfin but the family had other plans so this is what I got to work with!

I saw that toon troll mount when I was researching mine but didn’t want the extra holes in the deck/flooring. Mine is bolted through the crossmembers so no wood contact. I’m in pretty rough water when I am and it’s been holding up great. Multiple ways to skin the cat when it comes to mounts.

I went through the same agonies that you went through! My wife was my trolling motor as she would engage the throttle to move the boat forward and aft. That's hard on the motor and burn a lot of gas. I did 6 months of research to find a way to put a trolling motor on my 2275GS with out cutting through the front gate. Well I finally found the answer! Now I'm telling you that there are no short cuts to doing this but I like to fish and wanted it done right. Due to the weight of my pontoon, it started with an 80lb. thrust, 60 inch shaft MinnKota. I found a great company in Wisconsin called ToonTroll. It is a way to mount a trolling motor on a bracket (Aircraft strength aluminum) horizontally on the front deck extending over the water. It's hard to explain but go to Facebook and look up TOON TROLL and you'll see what I mean. It's fantastic and when I don't fish the trolling motor slides out, unplug it and store somewhere else than on the boat.

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly check them out.

I’m in the process of figuring out my mount options as well. One consideration of mine (and maybe yours) is how to deal with the inevitable bow-stuffage. With mounts that project out from the edge of the deck I see potential damage to both the mount and the deck if the through-bolts get torqued hard enough. Probably not a concern for 99% of you, but I will be running hard through 2-3 footers with some sizable ships around so I need to plan for a worst case scenario. And yes the rest of the boat is going to get torn up too but I want to minimize the exposure as much as possible. Was going to buy a 24’ Yellowfin but the family had other plans so this is what I got to work with!
I found www.shuttleslide.com yesterday. Looks like a great product. They even put me in contact with someone who mounted one on his pontoon boat. I'm going to give it a try.

Back