Trolling Motor

Finally picked up the boat last week with the trolling motor installed - the dealer ended up putting the battery in the back instead of the under the front port lounge seat. I prefer it this way but was a little uneasy about the 20+' wire run. Had an opportunity to run the trolling motor yesterday and it was perfect for what I will use it for - (general re-positioning, moving down shoreline to another fishing spot, etc.). I never intended to use it for actual trolling so the 55# is adequate - it was windy yesterday and it had no problem moving the boat around.

Finally picked up the boat last week with the trolling motor installed - the dealer ended up putting the battery in the back instead of the under the front port lounge seat. I prefer it this way but was a little uneasy about the 20+' wire run. Had an opportunity to run the trolling motor yesterday and it was perfect for what I will use it for - (general re-positioning, moving down shoreline to another fishing spot, etc.). I never intended to use it for actual trolling so the 55# is adequate - it was windy yesterday and it had no problem moving the boat around.
As long as wire gauge is heavy enough, you'll have no problem that distance. That's common practice. At least you don't have that extra weight loading down the front.

I believe it's 8 gauge marine wire with a breaker wired in at the battery. I felt the wires while using the motor and they did not feel warm to the touch.

Thanks for the great info guys, I have a 2012 24 SSL and have been looking at installing a minn kota withi I pilot, I'm not familiar with the stealth charging option? But that sounds like a cool system. What kind of fish finder are y'all running? I'm considering a lowrance hds unit or HB 998 si.

I am picking up my 18' fishing Bennington on Monday. I added a Minkota I-pilot with 55 lb thrust and 54" shaft. I am pretty sure with this small pontoon the 12 volt system should work. They have added a separate battery in the back, with a battery switch and a built-in charger, as well.

My wife talked me into adding an 8ft Power Pole Blade. I thought a coffee can filled with cement would work just fine.

The fish are in deep trouble. :D

You won't have any problem with the trolling motor on your boat. I have the same motor on a 24SLi and it is fine. Post some pics of the Pole Blade.

I have put pictures in the gallery, but haven't figured out how to use them in a thread.

I guess I figured it out.  Had to click on My Media for it to work.  Now I have to take some better pictures and figure out how to adjust the size of the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a pic of the trolling motor gate you will need ! its not a full pic tho . will try to get one today for ya.

thanx aby... I didn't get back in time to see my boat and take new pics !!!!

Back