Two toons with strakes

Boatingbob

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to my previous post in this regard.

If I have two tunes, outboard 115 HP, what is the use of trim? How should it be used?

A previous post indicated that trimming to raise the nose would increase MPG. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Bob

There really isn't much point in worrying about MPG in a boat. The only ones that get good mileage have sails.

Trim can be useful to find your best top speed, but as a practical matter, when it comes to pontoon boats it's most commonly used to raise up the prop when you get into shallow water.

On our old pontoon that had a 135hp I/O. with standard round tubes, I had 2 trims spots I would run. I played with the GPS to find those sweet spots on the trim. My first trim position would give us the top speed and also the best fuel economy when running at cruising speeds. This was with the anti ventilation plate parallel to the tubes. My second trim position was a higher trim angle. This gave us a dryer ride in rough water or on cold days. This trim position resulted in about a 4mph loss in top speed and lower fuel economy.

Back