Uhhh stupid question,

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
So getting ready to order this boat, and the wife asks me if the motor comes with a prop. I respond,I don't have a friggin idea! The last Benny we bought had a 90hp yamaha, and I don't remember specifically "paying" for a prop, it was just on there. It was an aluminum, I am pretty sure you need to go with a SS on a 200hp SHO, but with all the different boats it could be mounted on, it would be impossible to have one come with it. .......Right? Hehe as the title says, stupid question right. Would an aluminum prop be pointless? The wife is just worried since everyone says if you hit a rock or something with aluminum, you'll wreck the prop, with SS,you will wreck the "motor".

Every dealer I ever bought a boat from included an aluminum prop. Going to a stainless is your choice and in the larger horsepower engines it does makes some sense. If a large part of your time is cruising around at 15 mph or less then keep the aluminum. If your looking for the best top end performance then stainless will give you a couple mph (is that worth it to you).

About hitting an object; all the props you would be looking at will have a hub that works something like a clutch, if the prop strikes an object the prop then slips on the hub. You will still damage the prop but you are much less likely to damage the lower unit of the engine, although it can happen.

On most of my larger hp engines over the years I took the aluminum and then ran a couple different stainless (my dealer loaned a few different pitches/profiles, if I damage it I buy it). Once I decided upon my perfect stainless I bought it and the aluminum prop stayed stowed in the boat just in case.

On my new 115hp I'm going to be fine with the aluminum.... although I want it painted black :rolleyes:

Best of luck,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a stainless prop, I'd also want it painted black. There are people going around nights lifting lower units and stainless props off boats. When you buy a replacement lower unit online, you might be buying your own lower unit back.

I'm surprised that more people don't use stainless props as every motor over 150 hp needs one. I used to go through one or two aluminum props per year on my Inboard-Outboard boat. When I switched to stainless, I went 10+ years without a scratch. They're just so durable. I don't take my pontoon boat in shallow water as a smaller boat, and my 15 pitch aluminum prop has lasted 26 years.

That's not at all a stupid question. When your wife says "Your farts stink" and you say "What do you want me to do, fart in a bag?"

THAT's a stupid question.

That's not at all a stupid question. When your wife says "Your farts stink" and you say "What do you want me to do, fart in a bag?"

THAT's a stupid question.
Haha, I'll have to remember that one, should catch her off guard!

Be careful. She may come back with a bag. Which was when I realized it was a stupid question.

Back