unable to fuel boat

UNBRSparty

Reaction score
II have four 22' Bennington's which are used as rental boats. Lately, I am constantly getting blow back when trying to fuel two of my four Bennington Pontoons. One is a 2019 S Model and the other is a 2021 SX. I get the blow back, spilling fuel even when the tank is below half in fuel.

Last edited:
Try doing a search on this topic (upper right hand corner of page). Reasons/causes (and resolution(s)) have varied for those that have encountered fueling problems. Also sharing your year, model, and fuel tank (port or side fill?), etc. might assist members that have encountered a similar issue provide you with some advise and insights as well.

I am unable to put fuel in tank. Even thought the tank is half empty I get blow back.
I've had that problem on & off with a 2019 22SSBXP side gas tank for 3 years! I believe it has to do with a very stiff flapper instead the receiver. When using a regular gas pump I lose more fuel outside running down the outside of the boat than in the tank. Now I mostly use a battery powered pump and fill from 5 gallon tanks. I really have to use force (jam) to get past the flapper.

I've had that problem on & off with a 2019 22SSBXP side gas tank for 3 years! I believe it has to do with a very stiff flapper instead the receiver. When using a regular gas pump I lose more fuel outside running down the outside of the boat than in the tank. Now I mostly use a battery powered pump and fill from 5 gallon tanks. I really have to use force (jam) to get past the flapper.
Great insight - how far in is the flapper?

Mine came with a small long spout funnel that I can jam the hose against the taper and fuel normally. It extends further into the neck than a regular nozzle.

I had similar problems with my side fill SX model with the tank in transom. The problems got worse when I modified the boat with a fuel tank on deck. That modification forced me to learn about EPA compliant fuel fill systems. Newer boats (and cars) have fill systems that shut the gas pump filler nozzle off before the tank and filler tube is full of gas. The way it works is a pressure sensing pito tube visible when you look down the side fill hole will channel flow and pressure to a little hole on the side of the gas pump filler nozzle. That clicks off the filler nozzle when the tank is near full. When the tank is not full the flow and pressure is lost into the top of the tank. This whole system is finicky and sensitive to improper application and excessive pressure drop in the sense line that goes to the top of the tank. If I remember the fix I came up with was to rotated the pito tube so it no longer picked up pressure and in turn would no longer spit gas out the side fill of the boat. The photo below shows the pito tube held between my thumb and forefinger. The tube is retained and indexed with a groove on its side. I chose to create a new groove with a hot coat hanger wire (probably optional). Although I stopped the spit I then could overfill the tank. For that reason I would not recommend this modification if you want to be EPA compliant. This year I got rid of my side fill and replaced it with two direct fill tanks. Much simpler and better.

Attachments

• IMG_8726.jpeg
    IMG_8726.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 19
How do you attach the direct fill to the transom tank? Where do you purchase a direct fill?

No easy way to attach direct fill to a side fill tank. Of course anything is possible with rotomold being weldable. Attached is a photo of my fill caps on deck mounted tanks. A whole different deal. I bought those cheap fill caps on the internet.

Attachments

• IMG_9712.jpeg
    IMG_9712.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 16
Back