Under deck “block”

Potomacbassin’

Reaction score
Boat finally arrived at the dealer yesterday. Still in shrink wrap but wanted to go see the girl and take some measurements for my power poles.

I noticed that the wave tamer is smooth all the way back until you hit the transom area, and then there’s a large “block” for lock of better term. Anyone try smoothing this out with underskinning or other method to avoid causing unnecessary drag when at speed?

FYI in the picture it looks like something flat behind the block, that’s the shrink wrap. Once off it will be a clear shot all the way through.

thanks

7F59CD3B-2F78-4D81-B286-7804D44D1074.jpegCF874E38-2DAB-4BC8-9AB1-99BE290BFF45.jpeg

Is it also on the other side?

Must be some kind of support for the transom area. But you're right it may create significant drag when that water comes flying out of there. Never seen anything like that.....

Thanks - I’ll see if the dealer knows once we get it unwrapped and rigged. If they have a good welder I might have them tack in some angled aluminum to streamline it.

I also hope to reinforce the bow panels from behind (weld in a backer plate) that seem to be deflecting when punching a big wave.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's at the stern where there isn't much water splashing, and what little there is won't affect performance. Now if that block were more towards the front where it was catching the bow wake it would be another matter.

Probably protection for fuel line/wiring.

You got me wondering about that so I went out and looked at my 2017 22 SSRCX with SPS Yamaha 150 and wave shield underskinning. It looks the same as yours. It is the reinforcement for engine and fuel tank apparently. Maybe the assumption is the splash water is not that substantial that high up but sure wouldn't be that tough to add some thick aluminum at an angle to smooth out flow. It might make a difference at high speeds as water and wind would slam into that structure and cause some drag. Could form a piece of cardboard and then transfer pattern onto 1/16"-1/8" aluminum sheet bought at local metal supply from scrap remnant room. Usually remnants sell by weight. Use vice to bend angles to fit. Then attach with stout self driving screws or overlap and share existing mounting screws.

Last edited:
Great advice, didn’t even think to use screws or rivets, somehow just focused on welding. Probably need to know where the cross members are and hopefully not drill into something critical! Do you have the SPS or SPS

I might actually try to film it with a go pro and see if it’s worth the hassle. But my other concern is that we get a lot of debris on the Potomac so hitting that flat box broadside with a tree limb might do some real harm.

Thanks!

Great advice, didn’t even think to use screws or rivets, somehow just focused on welding. Probably need to know where the cross members are and hopefully not drill into something critical! Do you have the SPS or SPS

I might actually try to film it with a go pro and see if it’s worth the hassle. But my other concern is that we get a lot of debris on the Potomac so hitting that flat box broadside with a tree limb might do some real harm.

Thanks!
Mine is 2017 22 SSRCX with SPS (full length 25" toons) and helm label certificated for 200 HP maximum, but my engine is a Yamaha 150. I think the SPS + is for higher output engines above 200 hp if I understand Bennington options correctly. They add more strength for bigger engine power rating. About the underskinning modification, if you weld something in, it could be an issue to service fuel lines or wiring in future requiring removal of wave shields for access to area.

Thanks!
C'mon there's nothing floating in the clean waters of the Potomac river! Ha!

One day my kids will be able to swim in it, but until then we’ll admire it safely above the waterline!

So update, question is answered. They pulled the wrap off the boat so I could see it aft and here is the origin of the “block”. Still a concern of sorts from a drag standpoint but at least nothing critical like a fuel line:

536C8C60-A499-4ACA-8DF1-8545152CB9FB.jpeg

One day my kids will be able to swim in it, but until then we’ll admire it safely above the waterline!

So update, question is answered. They pulled the wrap off the boat so I could see it aft and here is the origin of the “block”. Still a concern of sorts from a drag standpoint but at least nothing critical like a fuel line:

View attachment 27113
It's like unwrapping the best ever Christmas present! Looks like we all have a similar super structure on our Bennys interfering with water and wind flow. If it made a big difference, Bennington probably would have contoured a baffle to allow less drag. When you get it home, take some pics of entire boat in and out for us and list specs. If you make a baffle, show us pics and pattern....or make them and sell aluminum baffles! :p

I have to admit the anticipation levels were high when the unwrapping happened, mostly because I feared my color combos would look crappy in person. Turned out fine, not super in love with it but at least not a blight at the dock!

Apparently though our boat is the very first one (blueprint #1) that has a dinette table on a swingback. Dealer said Benny numbers these designs and re-uses on future custom builds. If true, kinda cool to be the first!

97A01F69-CF84-4295-9DAE-A0D91C70A0CD.jpeg

Nice option with the table. On the “block”, if you have an under deck type of boat hoist, make sure the planks that lift the boat are set wide enough not to hit the block.

I have to admit the anticipation levels were high when the unwrapping happened, mostly because I feared my color combos would look crappy in person. Turned out fine, not super in love with it but at least not a blight at the dock!

Apparently though our boat is the very first one (blueprint #1) that has a dinette table on a swingback. Dealer said Benny numbers these designs and re-uses on future custom builds. If true, kinda cool to be the first!

View attachment 27115
Is that the graphite Simtex with the carbon metallic accent? Looks slick!

Nice! That's the same table that was on the SPDX we spec'd out last year. But it had 4 of those fold down seats around it. One thing we couldn't understand.......Why were there only 3 cup holders for the 4 people sitting there?!?

Nice! That's the same table that was on the SPDX we spec'd out last year. But it had 4 of those fold down seats around it. One thing we couldn't understand.......Why were there only 3 cup holders for the 4 people sitting there?!?
I would like to do a SPDX with 2 reclining captain's chairs in place of those 4 nasty bass seats.

I would like to do a SPDX with 2 reclining captain's chairs in place of those 4 nasty bass seats.
Bill those seats are actually pretty comfortable and are perfect for that table.

One is the designated driver! lol

Back