Under Helm Compartment Soaking Wet

Looneymoose

Reaction score
I have a 2011 20 SLi I opened the storge compartment under the helm and everything was soaking wet. I went to get a roll of paper towels and it was just soaked. I checked further and I can not tell where the water is coming from. I suspect it is the playpen cover. I previously sprayed it with 303 about 6 weeks ago. When I take the cover off I never know how much water I am going to find on the seats or the carpet. And now under the helm too!

This is my first pontoon boat but the third boat in 41 years and I have never had a cover leak like this one.

I have no water pooling on my cover ever. It is put on just like it should be and with stood a 110mph straight line wind storm on July 1st. But it does not seem to be be very good with keeping water out.

Is this a common problem with playpen covers?

Interesting mystery.

You say this is a before/after thing with the 303 treatment being the turning point?

Side note:

Make sure the drain tubes are connected to the drain holes in the bottom of the cup holders on your console.

Interesting mystery.

You say this is a before/after thing with the 303 treatment being the turning point?

Side note:

Make sure the drain tubes are connected to the drain holes in the bottom of the cup holders on your console.
The 303 did not matter before or after. I put the 303 on after I noticed water on my seats and carpet because I am aware of the product and have been using it for other toy's since 2002. I can see light through the seams. It is the only idea I can come up with. I always keep a towel under the help to wipe up the water off the seats and carpet when I take the cover off. When I opend the helm storage door everything was soaked.

I will check the cup holder on the helm this weekend. I am unaware of the drain tube's. If the drain tube's are or are not connected what does that have to do with the inside of the helm getting soaked?

If the drain tube's are or are not connected what does that have to do with the inside of the helm getting soaked?
Well, unless I misread it you said that the inside of the helm are was wet. That suggests a localized issue.

Now, if water is making it to the surface area of the console, then it's probably making it to the cupholders as well, and if it's making it there and there are no draintubes connected to the bottom of the cupholders then the water would just hit the carpet.

What is the MECHANISM for allowing water to get to the cupholders in the first place? I don't know.

I think maybe the next time you find your boat in this wet condition you might find it useful to do a meticulous check of the carpet to see where it's REALLY wet. Try to ignore anything that might be just condensation and look for the truly wet spots.

There's a good chance that a pattern will emerge that will point you to the culprit. After all, that water still has to obey the laws of physics... Just try to trace it backwards.

I normally leave my boat in covered storage. However, a couple of weeks ago I had my boat at home and it got rained on twice. When I pulled the cover off it was dry. I even watched the rain bead up and run off the cover. I have not waterproofed my cover. I wonder if you might have a bad seam.

Looneymoose, the drain tubes go through the floor via the under helm boot. If the tubes are not connected, or not routed through the boot, then any water collected in the cup holders would drain straight down under the helm. But, you still need to find out why the water is getting into the cup holders. Hope this helps!

If its a fully carpeted floor and it rained the helm area will wick the moisture inward as thats one area where the carpet extends to the edge of the boat. My last boat would do the same thing. although My cover would seep water through when is sat on top for long periods but I would usually get the water off it within a day of rain but I found that the area under the helm would always be wet due to what I described. especially if the wind drove the rain into it.Another entry point is the small void where the cover wraps around the bimini arms. remember water will wick quite a long ways through the carpeting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where the cables for the throttle, steering, drain tubes and wiring go through the floor I would make sure that the rubber boot that surrounds them is pulled up and zipped tied tight.

I have a 2011 20 SLi I opened the storge compartment under the helm and everything was soaking wet. I went to get a roll of paper towels and it was just soaked. I checked further and I can not tell where the water is coming from. I suspect it is the playpen cover. I previously sprayed it with 303 about 6 weeks ago. When I take the cover off I never know how much water I am going to find on the seats or the carpet. And now under the helm too!

This is my first pontoon boat but the third boat in 41 years and I have never had a cover leak like this one.

I have no water pooling on my cover ever. It is put on just like it should be and with stood a 110mph straight line wind storm on July 1st. But it does not seem to be be very good with keeping water out.

Is this a common problem with playpen covers?
Thank You all for your comments. Today I had a chance to talk to my dealer. The service rep I talked to told me the covers are not water proof. I checked the tube's for the cup holders and everything is OK. Also I would like to comment that Bennington did a real nice job under the helm with the way they have it all put together. I was very impressed. However I am convinced the cover is leaking from the seams. I was told this is not a warrenty issue. And if I want a water proof play pen cover I am going to have to have one custom made. I was also told it is not a cover that should be used for towing. But when the dealer towed my new Bennington on a 2 1/2 hour drive to my lake they did it with the cover on!

You can go to a sporting goods store and pick up some seam sealer that is made to water proof tent seams. It comes in different forms we have bought the chap stick type and it works extremely well, they do make it in bigger quantities I have seen also.

You can go to a sporting goods store and pick up some seam sealer that is made to water proof tent seams. It comes in different forms we have bought the chap stick type and it works extremely well, they do make it in bigger quantities I have seen also.
Wild and Free, Thank You. The day before I read your post I went to a Shop that custom makes boat covers. For less than $9.00 I purchased a seam sealer. Mine comes it a plastic bottle with a sponge applicator that I soak and then roll it on. He claims it will work and last the life time of the cover. I have been dealing with this guy since 1983 and he has never given me bad advice. Actualy I still gave a canvas cover he made for me back in 1983 for my 1971 Tri-Hull and it is still in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back