upgrading outboards

will-i-am

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Bennington 22s currently runs a yamaha 90 and looking at a yamaha 225 outboard. Does anyone know if i can safely upgrade yamaha for yamaha outboard or could there be an incompatability?

Without knowing your toon configuration I would say no . Look at your Capacity Tag next to your helm seat. At a minimum you would need an SPS plus (not yet available in 2016 ) or ESP . Also a few years back when motors were readily available , I wanted to go from a 150 to a 200 . ( 200 was Capacity Tag max ). It was more cost effective to buy a new boat .

If you are asking if your boat is pre-rigged to connect up to a larger 250 Yamaha motor. The short answer is yes. If you are asking can you safely do it the answer is probably not but maybe so. All Bennington’s use Yamaha’s bigger fuel filter. All Yamaha’s with push/pull cable throttle and shift have the same control. Steering is debatable but most would agree that you will need the anti feedback qualities associated with hydraulic steering. Many would agree that you will need power hydraulic assist but not those with strong arms and trim control skill. Most Bennington boats will have the same structure. But there is more to consider than just structure. Bennington must consider buoyancy and risk when they rate max power capacity. They need acceptable risk despite the extremely wide range of competency of their customers. When one exceeds the place-card power rating you except the liability.

Without knowing your toon configuration I would say no . Look at your Capacity Tag next to your helm seat. At a minimum you would need an SPS plus (not yet available in 2016 ) or ESP . Also a few years back when motors were readily available , I wanted to go from a 150 to a 200 . ( 200 was Capacity Tag max ). It was more cost effective to buy a new boat .
Thank you for the info Jack

Back