USB For Stereo Playback

skihuey2183

Reaction score
Anyone experience this and have a possible solution. I have a Blackberry Bold with an mp3 player. I was trying to use the usb port for playback to the stereo in my benny. it keeps giving me an error message that the usb is not supported. Am I missing something or do I just need to playback through the normal mp3 connection. Any advice would be great. Thanks

I've never actually used my blackberry for stereo play, I know for my ipod I plug it in to the usb connection, hold down 'Mode' on the deck (remote pod) and then I can use my ipod controls instead of trying to figure out what button switches playlist and artist and all that crap. Sorry, I will try it on my new boat though.

I use the headphone jack on my Android phone and plug it into the Aux RCA inputs in the back of my stereo. I leave that cable (2 male RCA to the boat stereo to male end for the other end that goes into my headphone jack of my phone) attached under the helm so all I have to do is reach in there and plug it into my phone. Instant access from my stored music library on my phone to my boat!

Did you change the "source" on the radio? I have to change it on mine to play my iPhone.

What model stereo do you have? I plug my android phone into the aux port on the front of my radio, change the source on the radio to front input/aux and then stream Sirius radio through my phone into the stereo system. If you are using the USB the device is acting as a storage/hard drive. So if you are trying to stream media through the phone like I do with Sirius then it will not work. The mp3s would have to be stored locally on the phone, not from an external site and then played through the phone. Hope this isn't to confusing.

Nerosync is spot on.....perfectly stated.

I have Sirus on board my boat already so the only thing I use my Android phone for is playing songs from it through my boat stereo; "Pontoon Song" is always a wise choice......

Skihuey, I suggest taking a look at the owners manual for your head unit. As suggested above, it may be looking to play stored MP3 or other format files from a jump drive. Many phones can emulate a jump drive, but not sure about your blackberry. Could be as simple as the head unit expecting a certain directory structure which is different on your blackberry. Maybe transfer your media from the blackberry to a jump drive and try that? I personally would rather risk a usb drive than my phone anyway.

Another option might be to get one of the inexpensive Bluetooth receivers that plug into the aux jacks and a 12v power jack, you would then be able to play from your blackberry or any other Bluetooth enabled device 'unplugged'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer said I have one of the "new " radio's . I tried my Ipod in the usb ,it did recognize it but would not play .I also tried usb jump sticks ,it did not recognize them .

I set up the Ipod with the buletooth and it worked fine . I also like the bluetooth slide tray inside the radio with another usb port .Radio also has "Pandora" , I have to figure that one out ,I may need the manual .

What radio and model number do you have. I wonder if their are "updates" for them that can be downloaded and installed due to the ever changing technology in these things.

What radio and model number do you have. I wonder if their are "updates" for them that can be downloaded and installed due to the ever changing technology in these things.
I don't know ,I did not get a manual with it .I did pm TB to ask for one .

I ordered the sony with blue tooth and usb .Dealer said that the first one they had seen with no " jack " on the front ,they didn't know that the face opened and that there is a slide tray for your Ipod ,blackberry and such .

Hopefully , TB will come through ( and I am sure they will ) and get a manual for me .

Dealer said he would take one off another but none are the same model radio .

That's the same receiver I have. I'll have to look in the boat today for the exact model number, but I suspect the manual is available online somewhere like Crutchfield.

Oops, beat me to it, but I even went out in the rain to check!

That is the one ,does any one know if the "RM-X306 Card Remote

Commander ' is suppposed to come with it ?

I did not receive it .

Thanks for the info .

I "think" this may be the model, if it's like the one in their brochure

Here's the manual

http://a248.e.akamai.../158DSX310B.PDF

x158DSX310B-F.jpeg
That is the one .

Does anyone know if the "RM-X306 Card Remote

Commander " comes with it ?

I did not receive one .

Thanks for looking everyone . :)

Update, after looking briefly at the manual it would appear that the remote should come with ,as you need to perform some of the functions .

Perhaps they were left in the box and went out with the trash ,hope not ,they are $45 .00 to buy one .

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine did not come with a handheld remote as it's mounted under the helm and I have the wired remote on the dash. I agree that the credit card type remote would be nice as it's just easier than the darn front panel.

Mine did not come with a handheld remote as it's mounted under the helm and I have the wired remote on the dash. I agree that the credit card type remote would be nice as it's just easier than the darn front panel.
Just spoke to the dealer ,they are checking .

Any idea what that Sony Bluetooth Bennington stereo costs? I'm afraid to even ask.

Looks like $279, pretty cheap actually. I do like the looks of it, especially because you can make it light up RED!! hahaha, but seriously, you can.

$280 from Crutchfield plus the remote pad on the dash is about $100.

Back