Used Bennington Question (2015 SSLX 24)

mtneer985

Reaction score
I am currently about to purchase a 2015 Bennington SSLX24 that it's excellent condition and am very excited about it. However, I've noticed some issues in the length and am just curious, having not owned a Bennington before, how they measure the total length. My old Pontoon was a 25' pontoon, and the pontoons measured exactly 25' long.

For this Bennington, the modal is SSLX24 (confirmed on title, boat itself and maintenance records). The sticker about the capacity says 22'. The side pontoons themselves come in around 22' - 22' 6" ish (did not get exact based on where it was). The title says it's 22' 6" but calls it a 24. The center pontoon is actually about 23' 10".

I just want to make sure that this is what Bennington calls a 24, or if this boat is this mis-labeled that it's actually a 22. Anyone got details on how they decide what is an S24?

Mine for example is titled as a 23ft but loa is over 26ft . You can do a search in the upper right corner for Bennington contact info, email link or phone . They will need the Hull ID.

Honestly for me it gets a little wonky across model years with length badging. I cannot find a consistent explanation across model years for the variances people encounter. It seems many models years have a slight variance between measured length (what part of boat or pontoons is measured) vs side panel/capacity plate length vs title length.

In your case, it would seem that the boat’s badging is based on your longest point (center pontoon + transom) but the title is based on outside pontoons (perhaps due to your state’s laws/regulations?).

I would have to dig up my title, but my 2017 24’ SSBXP might be similar. I think my title might have it listed as 22’ or 23’, but everything on the boat and build sheet are listed as a 24’ SSBXP.

Unfortunately, I cannot check currently as my title is downstate and we live up at the cottage in the summer months. You could reach out to Bennington per Jacks direction above if you want to double check. My inclination is you have a 24’ per Bennington for that year based on center pontoon + transom length, but your state lists it based on interior space or outside pontoons on titles.

Thanks guys @Vikingstaff that sounds almost identical to what I'm seeing. I contacted the mechanic who has worked on it and said this is typical, but it's considered a 24' by Bennington even though it's really only the middle pontoon that's close to 24'.

Thanks guys @Vikingstaff that sounds almost identical to what I'm seeing. I contacted the mechanic who has worked on it and said this is typical, but it's considered a 24' by Bennington even though it's really only the middle pontoon that's close to 24'.
You’re welcome.

Oh…and my other thought: IF you love the boat, its in great shape, its interior size is a good fit for you and your family, and its a fair price (or ideally a great price), then I would snag it and not let it slip away over this item. If you end up buying it, let us know and share some pictures. We all love peoples seeing other people’s new boats, or new to them boats.

Honestly for me it gets a little wonky across model years with length badging. I cannot find a consistent explanation across model years for the variances people encounter. It seems many models years have a slight variance between measured length (what part of boat or pontoons is measured) vs side panel/capacity plate length vs title length.

In your case, it would seem that the boat’s badging is based on your longest point (center pontoon + transom) but the title is based on outside pontoons (perhaps due to your state’s laws/regulations?).

I would have to dig up my title, but my 2017 24’ SSBXP might be similar. I think my title might have it listed as 22’ or 23’, but everything on the boat and build sheet are listed as a 24’ SSBXP.

Unfortunately, I cannot check currently as my title is downstate and we live up at the cottage in the summer months. You could reach out to Bennington per Jacks direction above if you want to double check. My inclination is you have a 24’ per Bennington for that year based on center pontoon + transom length, but your state lists it based on interior space or outside pontoons on titles.

I work for an insurance company. We insure boats among other things...

This is pretty spot on. you can blame regulators/lawyers/lawmakers, and probably a cat somewhere for this mess... there's a reason we call ATV's, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Boats, and Segway's "Special"...

I have a 2014 24 sslx and it matches the dimensions of that one you are looking at. Boat numbering and naming conventions is more unpredictable than a woman. Don’t let the length of toons etc steer you away. We’ve had ours nearly 10 years now.

Jeff is on the right track, however model designation contributes to more length variation than the model year.
For example, a 23 R will be just as long as your 24 SX

It would be nice if there were some sort of industry standard for model designation when it comes to 'implying' length.

IMO, any number associated with a boat name should be taken with a grain of salt. I’ve seen length understated, overstated or not stated.

As an example, our GCW 2574 actually has an LOA of 27’ 9”.

BTW, welcome to the family! Enjoy…

Back