Vertical Lift Question (shorestation) TB?

bankerii

Reaction score
Greetings all

I currently keep my Bennington in a freshwater marina. The marina has recently started allowing free standing lifts and I am considering getting one.

Question:

With a free standing vertical lift, would it be OK to lift the boat with two bunks under the deck (like a forklift between the toons) or do the toons need to be supported by bunks. I stored a JC pontoon on a shorestation with rail/bunks under the deck and never had any problems with it. I think my Bennington is heavier and would like to hear from TB if possible if it's OK to lift the boat in this way.

Boat is a 2275RCW tritoon with 250hp.

Regards,

Greetings all

I currently keep my Bennington in a freshwater marina. The marina has recently started allowing free standing lifts and I am considering getting one.

Question:

With a free standing vertical lift, would it be OK to lift the boat with two bunks under the deck (like a forklift between the toons) or do the toons need to be supported by bunks. I stored a JC pontoon on a shorestation with rail/bunks under the deck and never had any problems with it. I think my Bennington is heavier and would like to hear from TB if possible if it's OK to lift the boat in this way.

Boat is a 2275RCW tritoon with 250hp.

Regards,
Great question. I would love to know the answer to this question as I am looking at getting a lift in the near future

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get a lift 120" wide with carpet bunks for all the toons. It will support the boat very good I have several neighbors lifts set up tat way. All so think of a canopy if you put one on the lift.

I think you can go either way.

Many prefer to support the toons on lengthwise boards rather than support them by the bottom of the deck. I'd rather not dent my underskinning.

I have five crossmembers supporting two lengthwise 2x6 yellow pine boards on each side--16' long with another 3' spliced on the front. That's about as long as you can find in most lumber yards. My boat sits great that way.

I also added two padded 2x4's lengthwise on each side 3' above my rack and I flared them out at the end--bolster boards. When I come in, my boat centers its self on the rack.

I think you can go either way.

Many prefer to support the toons on lengthwise boards rather than support them by the bottom of the deck. I'd rather not dent my underskinning.

I have five crossmembers supporting two lengthwise 2x6 yellow pine boards on each side--16' long with another 3' spliced on the front. That's about as long as you can find in most lumber yards. My boat sits great that way.

I also added two padded 2x4's lengthwise on each side 3' above my rack and I flared them out at the end--bolster boards. When I come in, my boat centers its self on the rack.
Bamaman, anyway you could get me photo's of your setup? Did you build it out yourself? Most used lift in my area are for v bottoms but I am thinking I could convert them to a pontoon. Anyone have any thoughts on the conversion? Photos would be great!

This is our lift. It supports the boat perfectly. http://www.hi-tide.com/ It's rated for 9000lbs.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg

Bennington has said either way is fine. I have the ShoreStation 6000 Hydraulic and love it. There are many pics in my gallery, but something like this.

The setup I am inquiring about is shown in the pics below. I really like this setup because it is easy to guide the boat onto the lift. I had this setup with my previous boat, but it was not a Bennington. Would be nice to hear from a factory rep with regard to whether it is OK to lift the boat in this manner.

1124.jpg

SSPV40108MS.jpg

%24(KGrHqN,!hEE1hJbRw7hBNfny3)Kzg~~_35.JPG

Yes I asked and they said it is designed with sufficient strength to be lifted by the deck, mostly for towing on a center lift trailer (2 toons), when there is higher dynamic force from moving down the road. A stationary lift is surely less stress than a road trip.

I used 3 sets of bunks with side guides because on the ESP I have there is less than 10 inches between them and the back sides of the brackets/bolts could scratch up the tubes.

jfluhr18:

My lift is configured like Carl's first class lift above, except I used 4" channel steel to make a 11' x 18' rectangle with three additional crossmembers. I drilled holes in the steel to hold my lengthwise runners to the channel with lag bolts. My tritoon sits flat on top of the runners (like Carl's) except I have two 2x6's under each toon. I suspect the rack weighs about 500 lbs.

Marine contractors on our lake charge over $2K for such a rack as they're installed with barges and cranes. I prefab'd mine at home, brought it in piece by piece on a PWC trailer pulled with a 4 wheeler--and slid the parts down the hill to the boathouse for reassembly. Total cost was about $500.

I have a vertical lift you're referring that lifts by the deck. I haven't had any issues. I have it set up where it centers the boat and keeps me from hitting the uprights and my lift is only 114" wide. I drive up slow, and when the 2x12's are in the water they gently guide the toons into place. then I just lifr up my stopping point and lift away.

My boat is a smaller 20SLi, but I have it on a vertical lift with the 2 2X12 planks lifting from the bottom of the deck. I really like the fact the planks gently guide the boat for you. We have some pretty significant boat chop on our lake and even with side winds, as long as you can get the front of the boat "lined up" with the planks, I've never had any fear of contact with the lift frame posts. I installed a canopy and really enjoy the setup...

I have a Hewitt vertical and have had no problems with 2 toons. Might be tight with a tri toon, do you have splash sheilds?

The setup I am inquiring about is shown in the pics below. I really like this setup because it is easy to guide the boat onto the lift. I had this setup with my previous boat, but it was not a Bennington. Would be nice to hear from a factory rep with regard to whether it is OK to lift the boat in this manner.

1124.jpg

SSPV40108MS.jpg

%24(KGrHqN,!hEE1hJbRw7hBNfny3)Kzg~~_35.JPG

Still no response from Team Bennington on this.    Would like to know if it is OK to to use a lift configured like the pics above on a 2275 RCW Tritoon with ESP and 250hp motor hangind off the back.  Requesting response from TB.......Please......

I don't see an issue but don't take my word on it. I used that setup on a much lighter 22sslx and it worked great. I had 16' carpeted 2x12's and no issues. They worked great for keeping the toon off of the uprights as well.

Team Bennington are moderators, not here checking every post, so I wouldn't wait for them to answer the question. Perhaps send a PM and they could get someone from the factory to answer the question to your satisfaction. Otherwise talk to your dealer. I know my local Shorestation dealer has done it with ESP's, since he proposed it for mine, and I asked about it. I just chose a different route. Good luck!

I had Liftmaster of Muncie, Indiana install a HiTide vertical lift in my boathouse.  I think Carl's lift is like mine except my toon supports are more like cradles.  Pics are in my gallery when it was installed in the Fall  but I still had my old 2 log toon then and purchased my 2575 RCW ESP that winter.  They simply added a wider spaced 3rd set of cradles for the ESP in the Spring.  Really like it.   Gerry

Tom is correct. PM TB for fastest response. Your question has been answered above as many of us have spoken to TB on this very issue also.

Depending on your marina depth and seasonal variances in water level drops-

I would spend a few extra dollars on a cantilever lift vs drop.

They can handle a shallower draw and typically have the higher weight lifting ability. Tritoon 250's are not light, remember gear and 50 gallon fuel tanks, and people.

Go bigger than you think.

I have been using the under deck vs toon support lift for 2 years with zero issues. Every winter the boat has been pulled, checked, stored by a Bennington dealer.

Because mine is heavier and longer- they did 2x6 top plate on the 2 vertical supports to spread out the load. They also V'd it for the rear ESP pod design for clearance.

Fits snug but not tight. I can take pics next time out in a month

Yes, good point on weight. I had to go to the 6000lb on the ShoreStation and my boat is just a 2275RCW.

Back