Vertical lift size for pontoon

supra1970

Reaction score
I just purchased a 8 1/2 beam Bennington pontoon. I have a RGC 4000# 108" wide vertical lift already. Other than swapping out the v hull bunks for a pontoon bunk Will this be wide enough? What is all your opinions on using that lift for this pontoon boat? Is 108" wide enough for the boat or do I need something wider?

I just purchased a 8 1/2 beam Bennington pontoon. I have a RGC 4000# 108" wide vertical lift already. Other than swapping out the v hull bunks for a pontoon bunk Will this be wide enough? What is all your opinions on using that lift for this pontoon boat? Is 108" wide enough for the boat or do I need something wider?
Man that’s tight. 108” is 9’ and your beam is 8.5’. That will give you 3” left on each side. Plus you will have to take into account for the posts on the bunks to hold your pontoon. Mine are probably 1 1/2” in diameter. Also watch any wiring that might be around piling.
Ask the guys who are changing out your bunks. They will measure it out for you. Good luck I hope it works out because these new lifts cost a fortune.

I found my old (but standard) 120” too tight in rough weather (cross wind or waves). I would not reconsider anything smaller than the standard 120”. Personally, I wish the standard was slightly wider as it is.

I found my old (but standard) 120” too tight in rough weather (cross wind or waves). I would not reconsider anything smaller than the standard 120”. Personally, I wish the standard was slightly wider as it is.
Starting to see a few 138" out there.
Hauling them is going to suck even more. WIder canopy = even more vulnerable to winds. Eats up lake frontage.
But certainly nicer to pull into!

Starting to see a few 138" out there.
Hauling them is going to suck even more. WIder canopy = even more vulnerable to winds. Eats up lake frontage.
But certainly nicer to pull into!
Those dang tradeoffs, right!?! Hauling to me is a minimal issue as once on site, then no biggie. Off season pulling it out and having space for it in the yard in the winter and especially the increased vulnerability to winds would be my concerns if adding a canopy.

Sea Legs has been a great change up for us, even though we elected to not add a canopy to park under to our set up.

Those dang tradeoffs, right!?! Hauling to me is a minimal issue as once on site, then no biggie. Off season pulling it out and having space for it in the yard in the winter and especially the increased vulnerability to winds would be my concerns if adding a canopy.

Sea Legs has been a great change up for us, even though we elected to not add a canopy to park under to our set up.
sorry, what are sea legs?

Always something around the corner out there trying to get that $ out of our pockets. :p That said, I do really love them, and they did help a lot with some of our low lake level issues.

Back